Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Vegetable stew?
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 1:52 am

Any ideas for good combos with no meat? Fish is okay, and I like all vegetables. I usually make a lentil one with zucchini and garam masala, but I want to hear what you guys make. I'm feeling culinarily uninspired here lately.
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 4:06 am

Not even a beef stock? Well, you could always make cioppino. Seafood stew!
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 4:33 am

are you doing the lent thing, miss faye?

i roast root vegetables (toss them with olive oil) with a whole head's worth of garlic cloves --- onions, carrots, turnips, parsnips

from there, you can do anything. like cioppino, i guess -- go for a tomato based sauce

i am thinking that i'd roast the vegetables
do a tomato based sauce w/ whatever spice profile you're into
and serve over couscous
or pasta

if you are thinking garam masala, and since Indian vegetarian totally rules, i say check out anything in a julie sahni cookbook. her stuff is awesome
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 5:12 am

julie sahni cookbook
Classic indian cooking? The shit in that book takes forever and dirties ever pot and pan in my house. But....taste great.

For a veggie stew I would steam some mushrooms and use the broth from outta that to give it a boost of rich/earthiness. I would also thrown in a fistfull of barley, rice, oats, or pasta to thicken it.
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 5:37 am

I am gonna make fish pudding tonight for my half-ass Catholic attempt at Lent...not that I would set foot in an Episcopalian church again until another family member passes away.
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 8:49 am

Try something like this: http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/13954/giambotta.html

Giambotta is an Italian veggie stew. Great way to use up produce from the garden in the summer. Or to clean out the fridge.
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 9:04 am

mushrooms and use the broth

dried shitakes that you reconstitute generate a good broth base too. anti oxidant qualities too
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Yeah, stock's okay. Not Lent, I just don't do the meat texture thing. Bored with everything I make.

So far, Italian-inspired is sounding good!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®