Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Terry Parkway...gumbo?
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 8:36 am

I know you can't give away your recipe, but what is the secret to that super super black gumbo????
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 10:45 am

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 12:53 pm

THANKS! I prefer that taste/thickness to the other, more red kind.
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 1:51 pm

The darker the roux, the less thickening power it has. I made gumbo yesterday. A good rule of thumb is 1/4 cup flour for every gallon of liquid. Also make sure to add the stock a cup or two at at time. Bring it to a boil and then add more, repeat, etc. It keeps your roux from seperating and making an oilslick on top of yo gumbo. I like dark roux for seafood gumbo, I usually do a "mahogany" one for chicken and sausage. Be careful, roux is cajun napalm.
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 4:12 pm

Don't be a Stefan...no soul!!
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 4:52 pm

???
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 5:52 am

Top Cherfery, carney. Where is Stefan from, Finland?
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 6:11 am

Ahhh. I only watch a few minutes here, a few minutes there. If I were on TC, I would stab everybody.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 7:50 am

If I were on TC, I would stab everybody.

so, how can we get you on that show? i like a flashy display of knife skills!
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 10:09 am

You would have certainly stabbed Hosea and whatever that baby-talking pseudochef girl's name was. Oh wait, Hosea is still on there. He sucks. As does Carla, though I am sure some of her dishes are OK. Stefan is the only halfway decent one but only his arrogance makes him special.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 10:29 am

I'm not a chef, no culinary school. I'm an old fashioned cranky line cook.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 1:15 pm

i like using butter and taking a long while to brown the roux just right on low heat. it may take a lot longer, but usually if i'm making gumbo, it's more of a special occasion when i've bought a great deal of seafood for it and i wanna take my time. plus i don't mind sitting there drinkin' beer while i'm stirrin' it.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 1:59 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

emeril, in one of his cookbooks, suggests toasting the flour on a cookie sheet in the oven, to your desired shade of darkness and keeping it as a pantry item

then when you add the butter and mix that up together when you're actually making something that requires a roux, you're more than half-way there when you start. i've never tried it, but it sounded like a restaurant trick. what say ye, monsiuer parkway?
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 3:02 pm

I know a lot of places cook roux in the oven overnight on really low heat. You can buy roux in a jar in either powder or regular form. It takes me about 10 minutes start to finish for a dark roux.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Top Cherfery, carney. Where is Stefan from, Finland?

Yeah...some flavorless Aryan land like that.

...and Carney, that was a warning to the general Goner public not to go too light on the roux...you've obviously got soul to spare!
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 3:21 am

For Hosea to work an hour on that roux he had and just get a "yeah, that gumbo was pretty good..." he sucks. I found it really sad that he was on Top Chef and had not had a lot of experience making roux! I mean, WTF?!?!?!
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 5:14 am

i like to make the real dark roux too. once you start kicking yourself because you think you've burned it, that's usually when it's perfect. if you're too afraid of burning it you'll never get it dark enough.
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 5:31 am

Shaggy's gumbo was so dark, like a blackish-red and it definitely tasted different (aka "better") than other gumbos I have had.
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 7:19 am

I know a lot of places cook roux in the oven overnight on really low heat.

you mean places that don't have so many line cooks? like you said... it doesn't take long for one person to make a roux from start to finish. i guess if you're talking about VOLUME.... all the short cuts and non-personnel use possible?
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 7:33 am

I assume most restuarants that servea lot of ettoufe or gumbo etc make big batches of roux in various shades and use as needed. It will keep a while in the fridge. Alas, I'm a retired line cook turned music educator. But you never know...
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 7:47 am

butter? roux in a jar? are you people fucking kidding me???

only way to get a real dark roux is to use an oil that can stand extremely high heat.

peanut oil is what my louisiana family has been using for multiple generations...
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 7:52 am

roux in a jar?
Not saying I use it for cristsakes, but somebody does. I use reg vegetable oil, the smoke point is high enough.
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 9:24 am

peanut oil
oooh i'm gonna try this
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 9:39 am

peanut oil
oooh i'm gonna try this

ditto!
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 12:02 pm

butter?

you can get it reeeeeeeally dark on low heat. it just takes a lot longer than it would over high heat. like i said, i don't mind the process of it all cuz i sit there and drink beers while i'm stirrin' it. i probably would get annoyed if i wasn't drinkin' cuz you're standin' by a hot stove for an hour and you can't stop stirrin' or it gets gross. heh.

i wanna try out peanut oil at some point though. sounds like it would be less of a pain in the ass to make.
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 12:41 pm

peanut oil
oooh i'm gonna try this

ditto!

I use duck fat.
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 8:49 pm

ghee
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 4:02 am

ghee!!!

I haven't cooked with ghee since hippie Portland.
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 4:34 am

i do a lot of indian food. always have ghee
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 5:15 am

my dad uses that jar shit when he's in a pinch at Da Bar..it ain't sacrilidge but it is pretty shitte'....prudhomme says in early books that they always used black rouxs for meat cuz they daint have chikn stock on hand unt had to use water and extra long cookin times..sos all the flava wuz in da roux...if you want to go BLACK the main thing is even constant heat and a fucking thick ass bottom pot..i use half butter and half earl-not pomace...if we have a lot of fat bacon duck watever throw that shit in too..whaT i do use is a flat wooden rice spoon for stirrin cause it has that point to one side sos ya get that shit bunchin up in the corner out..once it gets red brown black toss trininty in and keep stirrin..it'll keep changing color until you throw stock in...but i also thin it out with water these days so i can cook it for several more hours..at least 4-5 hours..bonne chance
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 5:32 am

bonne chance is right, harveyyyyy
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®