Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / charcoal and getting it hot
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 5:38 pm

i don't know if i got a bum bag of briquets (kroger house brand) but the last 2 times i grilled outdoors, it took FOREVER for the coals to do their thing and get hot enough to generate good cooking heat.

i do the usual, stack em up, fire em up; yes i use lighter fluid - but hey...

its been taking 45-60 minutes for these coals to get hot... i don't remember it ever taking that long
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 6:00 pm

Buy one of those chimney starters...they work everytime. No lighter fluid required.
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 6:24 pm

yeah that is weird. you letting the fluid steep long enough? start with a chimney and use the natural lump charcoal.
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 6:26 pm

kroger charcoal blows.
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 6:32 pm

you letting the fluid steep long enough?

possibly not

start with a chimney and use the natural lump charcoal.

sounds good. 2 votes for chimney.

kroger charcoal blows.

apparently... but the store is close by and they sell meat there too. one stop shopping

thanks
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 6:42 pm

yes i use lighter fluid - but hey...

Say it isn't so. Two words: chimney starter. Shitty charcoal doesn't help, old stuff can soak up moisture and not burn so well. Go Kingsford/chimney starter. You'll never look back.
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 8:17 pm

i pile 'em in a pyramid and use lighter fluid. spray 'em down and wait at least half a minute before lighting 'em. a good breeze always gets 'em going quicker. once they start to burn down stir 'em up a bunch. em em em !!!
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 1:02 am

Kingsford

fuck that fascist shit!
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 6:39 am

old stuff can soak up moisture and not burn so well

we figured that was the case.
but you know, it was a nice night... went to store, bought big ass pork tenderloins on sale (and ground sirloin too) and some charcoal. spur of the moment cook out. bad kroger charcoal, bad!
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 8:26 am

kingsford is the best.
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 8:29 am

I like peanutbutter.
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 9:01 am

kingsford is the best.
not really, but its all my broke ass can afford and its leaps and bounds over the kroger crap
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 9:51 am

its what i always use and its never done me wrong.
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:08 am

I like peanutbutter. cookies
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 12:40 pm

I like peanutbutter. cookies

and donuts,
peanut butter'neat',
pizza hut pan pizza (meat lover's),
potato chips,
whoppers,
whole sticks of margerine (or butter),
and heavy whipping cream to wash it all down.

I don't have time for that charcoal shit.....takes too long.
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 6:22 pm

Kingsford stacked pyramid style then let the lighter fluid soak in for at least a minute.

Don't used that self starting briquettes. The fluid taste sticks too much and gets into the food.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 4:59 am

The fluid taste sticks too much and gets into the food
So does any type of starter fluid. That shit tastes like crap, get a friggin chimney starter. Sure it tastes fine when you are drunk, but the leftovers taste like they were cooked in a refinery. Plus that shit is way bad for you, youmight as well drink some kerosene.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 9:46 am

sometimes i'll have a bag of matchlight handy to put in the very bottom of the chimney to get the coal going faster. and the only time i do that is if i'm cooking for people who can't discern lighter fluid taste in bbq. then its ok, because they deserve shitty BBq if they can't tell the difference.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 10:28 am

I <3 naptha. smoke weed with a Zippo and shit.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 10:33 am

If you have an outlet nearby, I recommend getting one of the plug in coil starters. Just stack the charcoal with the starter underneath it. Has always worked great for me.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 10:33 am

So does any type of starter fluid.

I'm sure you mean lighter fluid. Starter fluid is some REALLY hardcore shit.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 11:16 am

I got a new grill for Christmas but just put it together today. The old one is now retired. The wife says put it to the curb next trash day but I was thinking about all the rock bands that have ate food that was cooked on it and I'm thinking if I tag it right in a description I could probably get at least 5 bucks for it on eBay.

My stepdad gets really bent that I still use the fluid. He just dropped off a starter chimney today actually because they "had them on sale and was in the neighborhood."
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 11:24 am

haha. your stepdad is a wise man.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 11:34 am

Charcoal in the microwave!!!! fun stuff!
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 11:49 am

Microwaving CDs and fireworks is REALLY fun.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 11:59 am

I'll bet! At the same time I hope.

If I broke my microwave I don't know what I'd do. How would I heat up the dozens and dozens of chef boy-ar-dee ravioli cans in my pantry???
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 3:34 pm

on the damn grill!
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 5:55 pm

there's alcohol based fluids and gels now that don't leave any taste on food...what fun is grilling without the occasional giant fireball? Fuck those chimneys, just pile it up against the side of the grill and light that shit...just be careful not to char your delicate palette....
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 10:35 am

Fuck those chimneys

I'm getting you a chimney for Mother's Day, Matto...so you can eat those words on a juicy pork chop. Chimneys es ley!
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 11:45 am | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

I am a devotee of the chimney starters but if you can't get your coals to glow, fan the shit out of them with the cover of an album you don't like (I heard Pearl Jam works good- I use REM "Murmur"). They need oxygen to light up and fanning them takes away a good bit of the heat up time.
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 12:07 pm

im gonna grill me some ribs tonight!!!
WHOOP WHOOP
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 2:19 pm

eat those words on a juicy pork chop.
my pork chops are plenty juicy...a chimney don't have a damn thing to do with it...
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 6:46 pm

I reckon they are...but I'm all for faster prep time = faster delivery of juicy pork chop to my mouth.
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 6:51 pm

the ribs grilled up perfectly. i made a big foil wrapped batch of ham, sliced potatoes and onions with half a stick of butter and put the ribs on top so they would cook indirectly. then i pulled the master breaker for the whole house and we observed earth hour and ate some damn good food.
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 8:20 pm

well, i went and bought one coz we grill so much. you guys convinced me...
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 7:42 am | Edited by: dale

This new Weber I got is fancy as all get out. New York Strips, taters, asparagus and swordfish today!

Anyone ever try those sawdust starters to get the coals going?

I can't seem to be able to find any of those alcohol based lighter fluids. Some suggest TSC but they're closed today.
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 7:47 am

Anyone ever try those sawdust starters to get the coals going?

yep they work great, i use them with natural charcoal, no fluids mucking up the ghrill
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 1:40 pm

did ribs last night. i used lighter fluid because it was too damn windy
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 3:42 pm

i used match light, someone left part of a bag at our house.
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 6:30 pm

we grilled tonight - just started the damn thing way early AND we had some twigs and dried out fruit tree (plum, some blackberry & raspberry branches too) wood from trees and bushes that got felled by recent storms

finally got a nice bunch of glowing coals but i wish they were hotter than they were. is there some technique to this - heat, that is? back in brooklyn, i had control over the temps on the grill and the smoker because they were propane powered.. and roommate/bbq resto-owner lorded over the weber, so i gotta figure out the analog way to grill now that i'm not there

tonight worked out better on the starting... we had a flank steak that took a little bit longer than i expected, and some nice little lamb chops... grilled some veggies (asparagus, onion, tomatoes).. but it was pretty delicious all the same.
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 6:41 pm

finally got a nice bunch of glowing coals but i wish they were hotter than they were. is there some technique to this - heat, that is? back in brooklyn, i had control over the temps on the grill and the smoker because they were propane powered.. and roommate/bbq resto-owner lorded over the weber, so i gotta figure out the analog way to grill now that i'm not there

did you see our green egg? they rule youcan totally control the temp easily
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 7:16 am

did you see our green egg? they rule youcan totally control the temp easily

Are there any charcoal grills out there that can control the temp that don't cost an arm and a leg???

The large Green Egg grill is over $1000!!!!!
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 7:18 am

bruce - did you spend over a grand on a grill????
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 7:22 am

it was a wedding gift, but it's not the gig one, i think it was more in the $500 area
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 7:56 am

finally got a nice bunch of glowing coals but i wish they were hotter than they were
More coals. When they are glowing that's as hot as they get. It also helps if you can raise and lower the cooking grate. When I don't use my big ass smoker, I have an Aussie walkabout grill. They are 50 bucks and they rule.
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 8:00 am

It also helps if you can raise and lower the cooking grate.

i guess this will depend on how much time i will spend in nashville.
i have a really cheapo grill where you can't raise and lower the cooking grate.
it is fine for burgers and stuff like that

more coals it will be then
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 8:52 am | Edited by: deadcityrebel

More coals
also,
if the smoker you were using has a way to control airflow in and out of the smoker thats an easy way to get your coal really hot. once you get it to a certain temp, then adjust so you don't burn through your coals like newspaper. usually i'll get the temp to a certain point and let it sit for a while then when i need to put more coal in i open the valves (or whatever) and let more air in in preparation to put in the cold coal
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 12:57 pm

I've used the chimney starting thing 7 times the past two weeks. It works way better than any fluids and you can walk around with a cool can full of smoke before you dump them in the grill.
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 12:59 pm

The old one is now retired. The wife says put it to the curb next trash day but I was thinking about all the rock bands that have ate food that was cooked on it and I'm thinking if I tag it right in a description I could probably get at least 5 bucks for it on eBay.

AND it is still in my backyard...No garbage day or eBay so far. It's hard to say goodbye.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®