Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / spaghetti squash
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 4:48 pm

so what do you all do with this stuff? i tried it for the first time yesterday and was kind of weirded out by it. i also kept adding stuff to it. started off with just butter and salt and pepper, found it to be bland and added parm. then i added feta and got kind of grossed out.

other than the obvious part of cooking and then scooping the seeds and twirling the strands out with a fork, what kinda stuff do you do with it? sauces? anything?
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 5:04 pm

stir fry w/ ginger garlic sesame oil and sesame seeds
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 5:05 pm

oh, and my ma just puts red sauce on it like it pasta
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 5:06 pm

most people eat it as a spaghetti substitute

you could make a veggie dish out of it.

cook the spaghetti squash and pull out the strands so you have all that "spaghetti."

you'd then julienne some other veg such as zucchini, carrots, green beans, whatever....

toss em all in a skillet where you'd already sauteed onions, shallots, garlic and herbs (because this is the ONLY way you'll get any flavor) and heat through.

you could also add a marinara sauce and you'd have a variation on ratatouille

that's how i do it
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 5:24 pm

yeah, its basically used as a substitute for wheat pasta. I like it in soup. I also halve it, then stuff the indentation with chopped onion, herbs, garlic, mushrooms, drizzle with oil, bake. also great in soups.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 7:09 pm

I also halve it, then stuff the indentation with chopped onion, herbs, garlic, mushrooms, drizzle with oil, bake.

Or halve it, slather with butter, sprinkle some bacon bits on there and bake it. I love the stuff.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 7:27 pm

some bacon bits

i hope you mean REAL bacon and not the dried stuff from a shaker!

real bacon fat dripping into the spaghetti squash would be fantastic!
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 7:43 pm

real bacon fat dripping into the_____________would be fantastic

You can finish that with ANYTHING! Like tire tread. Or ice cream. It works in so many ways.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 9:11 pm

Yeah, the restaurant I used to work at made this crazy squash thing that I can't remember totally.... basically it was cubed squash, bacon, sage and a cream sauce mixed together and baked. But there was more to it and it had a fancy name. The only time I've ever liked any squash I ever ate.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 11:43 am

REAL bacon

Yes, real bacon.

As far as that fake bacon stuff...it always makes me burp for some reason. Sorta gross thing to share, but I've just noticed that whenever its on a salad or something I always end up with the burps...
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 1:15 am

whoa. you don't like squash, joe? there are lots of great ways to cook it. just got to add the right flavors to make it right. this was the first time i ever made spaghetti squash and i wasn't a fan of it, but then again i just threw it together not having any idea of what the fuck i was supposed to do with it and i didn't have internet access at the moment to ask.

i think i'm going to try some of the different ideas on here with it soon. the sesame garlic stirfry sounds promising and so does pillarofsalt's idea too. mmmm.

fake bacon is gross. ugh.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 2:28 pm | Edited by: Joe

whoa. you don't like squash, joe?

Yeah, it sumpin about the texture, starchiness, and sweetness that when combined sorta rub me the wrong way. I occasionally eat sweet potato fries, but that's about as squashy as I get.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 3:20 pm

no zucchini? no summer squash?? Those are hardly squash at all.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 4:51 pm

joe - try slicing zucchini or summer squashes really wide on the bias
drizzle olive oil, or pesto or undiluted red miso paste across them, stick under broiler or on grill for a few and voila! non-squashy excellent veggie appetizers
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 5:31 pm

no zucchini?

I can do the zuc on occasion, and other less squashy squash. But all the wintery, sweet potato, yam, butternut type squashes are usually too much. I'll try the oil/broil TK.
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 4:17 pm

A Spanish chef I worked for years ago sauteed it with butter, brown sugar and vanilla then wrapped in in puff pastry and baked it in the oven.....served it with whipped cream......nice off the beaten track desert...did it again with fresh blueberries added to it.......

Same guy used to make a cool avacado desert too......
Posted: Jun 4, 2008 8:31 am

we cut it in half, put in some spices, bake it, then pour an italian sauce in it and eat it out like it's a bowl. sooo good.
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 3:55 am

The super lazy, but tasty way I do it is to cut it in half, drizzle with olive oil, salt and fresh pepper, wrap in saran wrap, and nuke until it's soft. Scoop it out and add a pat of butter.

That dessert sounds incredible.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®