Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Community Radio Stations
Posted: Aug 22, 2014 8:42 am

My local community radio station is having an emergency pledge drive to try to keep from closing. Does anyone listen to the radio anymore or is it about as useful as a landline phone or a buggy whip?
Posted: Aug 22, 2014 8:49 am

I listen to wevl all the time
Posted: Aug 22, 2014 10:11 am

Community radio is constantly on around here. WNYC (for the blah blah blah), WKCR (for jazz, opera, blues, bluegrass, mambo machine, to name a few), WFMU (DUH!), and, way less frequently, WQXR (classical) & WBGO (jazz)
Posted: Aug 22, 2014 10:13 am

I only tend to volunteer at and donate to 'FMU, though.
Posted: Aug 22, 2014 11:30 am

KPOO out of SF is on the WWW and has some killer oldies shows, Sunday and Monday nights.
Posted: Aug 22, 2014 12:34 pm

if there was a station like that here in york, pa i'd listen and donate if i didn't already have a show there (did i type that right?)

i can get the local npr affiliate here. it's truly disgusting. hopefully your locals will kick down some coin to keep you affloat for another year. real radio is the best. good luck!
Posted: Aug 22, 2014 12:54 pm

I never listen AM/FM radio anymore.

good riddance
Posted: Aug 25, 2014 6:20 am

Beej, what's cool on KPOO is the Saturday afternoon/evening reggae show, DJ kayKay does a shout out to everybody listening via the WWW, all ovah da world. also plays some xclnt early reggae and usually a bunch of obscure Bob Marley live tapes.

I do flow with the dough, but the royalties reform thing really impacted their budget, now they're always on the lookout for more $$$. still, they're not at NPR-type "begging" drives yet.

http://www.kpoo.com/listen
Posted: Aug 25, 2014 8:45 am

Out here we've got KFJC from Foothill College in Los Altos Hills. They have some great shows though they sometimes go a little overboard with the free-form electronic screeching.

KALX from Berkeley is good too in a more "traditional" college radio way.

Our community station is KKUP which has a sort of old-hippie vibe but has some good shows.

And then there's KPFA in Berkeley for all you lefties.

Real radio rules.
Posted: Aug 26, 2014 10:02 am

I listen to the local public radio news/talk affiliate daily. Sometimes listen to ARTxFM, which is a local online radio thing.
Posted: Aug 27, 2014 6:33 am

Occurs to me that "community" radio stations are quite different than "college" radio stations (like KALX), and there aren't many of the former left. (that is, "community" stations that don't use NPR programming ad infinitum)

would a "community" station necessarily be advertising free?
Posted: Aug 28, 2014 9:52 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

When I lived in Dayton Ohio I used to listen to Wright State's college radio and they had some good stuff on there you wouldn't hear anywhere else in that day and age..not in the midwest. I lived right off campus though, not sure if the rest of the community were listening but they would get people calling in.

I don't listen to the NPR affiliate station here, although they play better stuff than the usual Clear Channel drool....it's just because NPR has joined forces with certain venues around here, and I don't really understand the politics but I don't like the shit the nationaly syndicated NPR bands they push...the News station on the other hand...Someone explained it to me, and I found it infuriating but luckily I don't support that station or those venues so it was easy to forget.

I used to listen to Chris Martel and Alyse Mervosh's radio show in Madison Wisconsin...it was pretty much the baddest best rocknroll radio show of all times!

I would listen to the ArtxFM station if someone would turn it on for me.
Posted: Aug 29, 2014 9:08 am

In Kalamazoo the station to listen to is Western Michigan University's WIDR student run, non commerical music featuring student and community DJ's playing all genres of music from the past and present.

Other than that I can somewhat tolerate the oldies radio station.
Posted: Sep 3, 2014 7:57 am

Our community station is KKUP which has a sort of old-hippie vibe but has some good shows.

This sounds like our station for the most part (http://www.wdbx.org/). My favorite shows:

Time Machine Show
Independent Wormhole
Prof. Wittman's Lollypop Shoppe
Option Anxiety
Grandma's Jazz

I am second banana on The Big Mix. There are no real "commercials" but there are underwriter spots from local businesses at thew top and bottom of the hour. Usually 2 or 3 lasting 30 seconds each.

Looks like we dodged a bullet and made our pledge goal.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®