Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / recruiting goners
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 4:27 am

Anyone experience this? There's this dude I work with, Jake, that I'm turning on to this stuff. I have a Minor Threat, a Big Star, and a Goner tattoo. He recognized two out of the three.... that ain't bad. The Goner tat is the one he didn't get. He bought the new Oblivians CD and is into it. I'm taking him to the show next week at the new Hi Tone. I've traded him records that I really didn't want to get rid of just to get him interested (I got stuff like No Sleep Till Hammersmith in returnl so it's not to bad). It's kinda fun.
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 4:32 am

Ps ....he's interested enough that he actually visited the Goner store and bought a few records, Social Distortion being one of them. In MS that's kind of big.
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 9:21 am

Great. Glad he'd actually come into the shop.
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 11:19 am

Dude traded me an Exploding Hearts CD. I never bothered to check this out.It's awesome. I thought I was being the mentor here. Maybe not.:
Posted: Aug 2, 2013 6:39 pm

Listen for the Louie influence.

Hint: Shattered
Posted: Aug 3, 2013 12:03 am | Edited by: Cole

I immediately ordered both on vinyl. Yeah, he knows a lot about that band. When I told him that I had met and hung with Louie he got really excited. Louie is a bad ass songwriter. Boulevard Trash is really great. I'm a Pretenndor is magic. Andy B said my dog liked to bite him. Trina is just not into musicians. Can't wait for that new Missing Monuments lap to come out.
Posted: Aug 3, 2013 5:29 am

i listened to the first KLOMB album last night.

DON'T COOK THAT CABBAGE!

the new monuments album is streaming on SPIN.

test press of the upcoming monuments single on slovenly is slaying!
Posted: Aug 4, 2013 3:59 pm

Posted: Aug 5, 2013 7:04 am

Six was at the first Oblivians reunion show about 6 months after the Exploding Hearts accident....we hung out and smoked a j....he told me he had been getting laid allot since the accident, I told him to wear a condom, he told me he wears two.

I was kind of a shit about it when they died...I may have been fighting a war on empathy, but the internet was still young then and besides when you're confronted by some tragic coincidence sometimes all you can do is laugh to yourself like "WTF?"...
Posted: Aug 5, 2013 7:14 am

I still listen to that first KLOMB record....shake it before you bake it.
Posted: Aug 5, 2013 12:45 pm

Yeah, at the risk of being accused of having downs syndrome, I have slept on Louis. I have all the Missing Monuments stuff and the Goner CD. Love ,em. Got the Exploding Hearts on the way, working on RP and Bad Times stuff. What a slept on songwriter. A power pop genius. Really want the RP record Chilton worked on. That collaboration sounds amazing.
Posted: Aug 5, 2013 5:20 pm

plus Lil Wayne bit his style
Posted: Aug 6, 2013 3:48 am

The context to put KLOMB in is that hardly anybody else was doing the one man band thing back then...Schooley was still in The Hard Feelings.....now one man bands are ubiquitous, but back then it was pretty much Bob Log III, Hasil Adkins, and King Louie...then everybody jumped on the bandwagon a few years later. Other people kept me up to date on the Missing Monuments stuff while I was nodding out...but the KLOMB era songs were something really special.

I still regret missing Royal Pendeltons at Gonerfest 8, but they went on at like 3 or 4 am and I didn't have any uppers...their stuff is pretty hard to come by, I just have a couple 7 inches, but then again I'm kind of a cheap shit. King Louie was younger than the rest of those guys, and the stories are wacked out (classics)....
Posted: Aug 6, 2013 4:05 am

Cole ya gotta get the Loose Diamonds record too, esp if you like the pop/roots Louie stuff...
http://www.discogs.com/King-Louie-And-The-Loose-Diamonds-Memphis-Treet /master/439861
Posted: Aug 6, 2013 4:07 am

Loose Diamonds "Gypsy Switch" = Exploding Hearts "Shattered"

Posted: Aug 6, 2013 4:24 am

Memphis Treet is his best record.

And I think this is my favorite song he's written:
Posted: Aug 6, 2013 6:30 am

I might add that while I was 'nodding out' I did records for Burning Hatreds, Autodramatics, and Ape City R&B, not to mention Dan Melchior...but I was kind of nodding out just the same....still am. Allot of oppressive forces in the world don't deserve my attention, but King Louie has never been one of them.
Posted: Aug 6, 2013 6:54 am

I thought I was being the mentor here. Maybe not.

You are being played. Be sure to put a coaster on top of your beer when you turn your back.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®