Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Baseball cards
Posted: May 12, 2012 2:45 pm

So, I have a large box of late 80s / early 90s baseball cards.

Should I throw them in the garbage?
Posted: May 12, 2012 3:26 pm

take them to a card shop - they may look through them.
What condition are they in? Are they organized?
shit, even if you get $20-$100 for the box, it's better than nothing.
Posted: May 12, 2012 6:42 pm

the market is really down on baseball cards, but i would go through them to see if you have any gems in there. You never know. Could have some worth a bit of cash.
Posted: May 12, 2012 7:44 pm

what brand are they? If Topps or Donruss, they are probably worth as much as the paper they're printed on
Posted: May 13, 2012 3:22 am

I assume the market is down because they cost do damn much, kids don't wanna collect that shit. they have video games to buy.
Posted: May 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Donruss, upper deck mostly I think. Twenty years ago I separated the ones that were "valuable" then from the rest of them.

I do have a bunch of Cal Ripken, and other orioles dudes, probably Mike Mussina's rookie card, etc.

I didn't even think there was a card shop here but evidently there is one in the suburbs. I guess I'll check it out.
Posted: May 13, 2012 5:38 pm

looks like the old '89 Billy Ripkin "fuck face" card isn't even going for all that much anymore?
Posted: May 14, 2012 3:04 am

Stick them in the spokes of your bike tires.
Posted: May 14, 2012 11:11 am

Most of those 80's 90's cards aren't worth much any more cuz they made so many of em, the ones now are probably worth more because they're "rare" etc. 88 Donruss is thee worst set ever!
Posted: May 14, 2012 11:27 am

Yeah, after looking through them more closely I'm starting to think the gas to drive out to the card shop will probably cost more than they'll give me.

I had some Ernie Banks card from the 1950s which was the only one of true value I ever owned and of course it's nowhere to be found, god damnit. probably ruined in katrina.
Posted: May 15, 2012 4:23 am

weird, my mom just asked me what she should do with all my cards. i thought i got all my stuff out of her house, but i guess i left boxes and boxes of commons in the basement. i told her to toss 'em.
Posted: May 15, 2012 5:55 am

dang dude! You told her to toss them? I would have at least ran through them one more time.
Posted: May 15, 2012 5:57 am

88 Donruss is thee worst set ever!

yr thinking of 88 topps. FUGLY.
Posted: May 15, 2012 6:10 am

i live 2,000 miles from my mom, she's trying to make space. realistically there's no way i was gonna get through 10% of 'em. there must've been 20,000 cards down there.
Posted: May 15, 2012 6:11 am

my brother may take 'em, as well. though he's got just as many of his own and i'm sure they'll all end up in a fire.
Posted: May 15, 2012 7:30 am

Topps rules. the original and still the best.
Posted: May 15, 2012 8:34 am

Found a bunch of 80's cards in a box my mom gave me. Lot of Topps, Donruss and Fleer cards including many rookie cards for some future hall of famers. Figured out pretty quick that they weren't worth shit.
Posted: May 15, 2012 3:34 pm

1982 Fleer are nasty as well.
Posted: May 15, 2012 6:22 pm

'88 Topps were the ones with the bogue wood backgrounds?
Posted: May 15, 2012 7:33 pm

those were '87. '88 had a white border and diagonal ribbon for the name.
Posted: May 15, 2012 7:34 pm | Edited by: nickg

hmm
Posted: May 16, 2012 7:18 am

love the fake wood backgrounds!!! classy!
Posted: May 16, 2012 11:51 am

i always thought '86 topps was classy. that's the year I started collecting.
Posted: May 17, 2012 9:36 am

Chris, you should donate them to some nerd kids in the neighborhood. Or you can always draw stupid shit on them and put them inside of records that you put out. Antiques Roadshow will be doing a piece about my folk art in the year 2525.

Circa 1994 Dutch and I would take boxes of '88 Donruss, Fleer and Topps and donate them to outhouse shitters. Goodbye Pete Incaviglia! So long Mike LaCoss! Bon voyage Dale Svuem!
Posted: May 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Later Al Pedrique, gnight, Mike Dunn, see ya Vicente Palacios!
Posted: May 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Matt Nokes can suck a dick!!! You too, Rich Renteria!
Posted: May 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Any George Brett cards??
Posted: May 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Any George Brett cards??

Uumm, no. we don't have any gay cards.
Posted: May 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Uumm, no. we don't have any gay cards

heyooo!!!!

"i shit my pants last night. i'm good for that one, two times a year."

seriously, i grew up a dale svuem fan. sounds unlikely, i know. he had fans? yes, it's true. currently the cubs skipper, and i believe chris bosio is his pitching coach!
Posted: May 17, 2012 7:47 pm | Edited by: nickg

Posted: May 18, 2012 1:21 am

I do have at least one George Brett card! Saw it the other day and started snickering. Double tapered, brah.
Posted: May 18, 2012 5:25 am

you can always draw stupid shit on them and put them inside of records that you put out.

This past December I did this with a bunch of Desert Storm trading cards that Eric left at my house years ago. taped them to xmas presents. nothing better than seeing dick cheney's lopsided face on the present you're about to open.
Posted: May 18, 2012 12:11 pm

I think it's time Desert Storm got reissued.
Posted: May 18, 2012 12:51 pm

That Svuem card rules. 1987 wood paneled Topps is my all-time favorite set. First wax box to myself. I used up go-kart track paychecks like a fiend.

I already got all of the Dessert Storm boxes from Nostalgia World and used some to make the art. Don't fret. Non sport cards are full of fuckery. I have a box of Robocop 2 packs sitting out with some Rad Dudes. Superman 3. Just remembered that ProSet did a set with metal bands that was 95% hair and butt. Still have the Anthrax card somewhere but sadly Kings-X and Petra are cold decomposing in the previously mentioned outhouse.

Back to Womb sales: craigslist? free classified section on The Krogers bulletin board? church circular?

PS: thanks for not talking about raer loft pop MP3s.
Posted: May 18, 2012 1:29 pm

[i]a set with metal bands that was 95% hair and butt.[ /i]

This describes a duo of groupie sluts, not unlike Goldie Hawn and Michelle Pfeiffer in 'the Bang-her Sisters' (get it? Get it?).

I have a 87 Topps from you, Curt, that had a letter crossed out so that the guy's name is SHIT.
Posted: May 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®