Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / happy record store day, jerks!
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 4:22 am | Edited by: elle

what are you buying/did you buy today?
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 7:29 am

i went yesterday cuz a) i go enough where if i don't go today it doesn't matter and b) it was really nice outside and i can't resist going for a drive and hanging out in a record store on a sunny day.

i got this:

http://www.garagehangover.com/?q=JaggedEdge

and a promo copy of don covay's "sookie sookie"

YEAH!

the wife finally nabbed a copy of wanda jackson's "funnel of love"
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 9:04 am

sunny day here in Paris, went to 7 stores and 3 bars with 3 pals, bought 14 LPs and 5 45s. nothing crazy rare but all good stuff.
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 2:19 pm

i went to the crappy little record store in my neighborhood - they didnt have any limited specialties - but they had a deal if you spent $20 you got $5 off - and you could grab a free record from the $2 bin. i got 4 $5 records and a free copy of 'songs in the key of life' for $15. plus i got a free bottle of water. no complaints
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Ty Rex
Sacred Bones Presents RSD Sampler
Deerhunter 7"
Red Crayola "Hurricane Fighter Plane" on 7" remixed by Sonic Boom
Trouble in Mind RSD 7" comp.
Vivian Girls 7"
The Cars 7" (curiosity was killing me)
Non record store day stuff;
Spacemen 3 "take me to the other side" 12" ep
Quintron "Sucre Du Sauvage" double lp
Dan Melchoir's new one on Siltbreeze
The Milkshakes "the 101 tapes" (recently reissue on damaged goods?)
Milk Cult/Dosed Bernie Split 7"
3 7"ers of the newer last laugh reissues too.
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Had a great record store day. Took two of my kids with me, for a nice day trip to Memphis. Due to buying my kids some stuff at a paintball shop and the Memphis Drum Shop, I didn't have a lot to spend on records. what I did buy was quality. I've listened to each record a couple of times so far.....

Ty Rex-Never really listened to Marc Bolan besides the obvious radio stuff, but this is great. I love Ty's guitar sound.

Knife Fight- More awesome Aussieness......It seems like I never lose with Aussie bands. Speaking of which....

The Scientists- I've played both sides of this about 8 times and love it. This was recommended by John and Bruce and I was sceptical. I thought it might be new wave or something. Hell no. This is good old rock n roll and I really dig it. I gotta hear more from these guys.

Manatees were great. Kick ass band. They blew my kids minds and it's what they mostly talked about on the way home. "Treehouse" is great.
What I saw of Limes they were great, but didn't see much of them. Oh yeah! I got to meet Ross which was super cool.
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 3:27 pm

By the way, there was six copies of The Alarm Clocks live lp in the store. What the fuck is wrong with you people?
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 4:50 pm

Posted: Apr 16, 2011 5:19 pm

i'll get some live boots of scientists for you cole, but, it's a band you need everything from, drastically different versions from early to late
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 5:48 pm

i'll get some live boots of scientists for you cole,

That would be awesome. I've spent about an hour and a half looking at videos, blogs and whatever else I could find on them.

drastically different versions from early to late

I can see that, It's really cool actually.

Funny, all the best bands I've "discovered" in '11 are old. The Fall, Alarm Clocks, The Scientists.
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 6:04 pm

lol at $65. instant classic!
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 6:13 pm

lol at $65. instant classic!

I know! It's not even the clear vinyl. You know what bugs me the most for some reason? This might be stupid but that asshole won't even pick up the shipping charges.

All these rsd releases on ebay are sealed,mint, and unplayed. That Ty Rex lp was in my house no longer than ten minutes before it was on the turntable.
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 6:39 pm

that's why you are in the circle to get stuff,
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Bruce. Gross.
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 11:41 pm

By the way, there was six copies of The Alarm Clocks live lp in the store. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

The Alarm Clocks Suck

JangleJangleJangleJangleJangleJangleJangleJangleJangleJangleJangleJang leJangleJangleJangleJangleJangleJangleJangleJangleJangleJangleJangle

Whatever.
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 11:57 pm

ALEX CHILTON:Like Flies On Sherbert/Live in London DoLP
THE BUZZ:Insanity EP (repro)
CHARLIE MINGUS:Jazz Masters EP
GIRLS:Reunion LP
THE JUJUS:You Treated Me Bad LP (the new one)
LIQUID STONE:Here Comes The Weekend SP (repro)
THE NIPS:Only The End Of The Beginning LP
OBLIVIANS:Sunday You Need Love SP
WOOFING COOKIES:Such A Mistake SP
X-RAY SPEX:Germfree Adolescents LP
V/A:ANGEL DUST (60s biker punk comp)
V/A:BIG HITS OF MID-AMERICA #3 DoLP
V/A:GOT THE GO!!! #3 LP
V/A:IT'S GONNA BE ACTION PACKED! #1 LP (50s-early60s rockers comp)
V/A:IT'S GONNA BE ACTION PACKED! #2 LP
V/A:PUNK OFF! LP (late 70s UK punk sampler made in Italy, well known acts but killer artwork)
V/A:TABU #2 LP (60s US exotic rockers comp)
V/A:TABU #3 LP
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 4:21 am

Meh. I wanted to get this, but I did not see this at all and I live in Seattle -- I guess I know why now.
I love the idea of record store day, but I go to my local record stores all the time, so I don't need a dedicated day for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ty-Segall-Ty-Rex-LP-RSD-oh-sees-jay-reatard-/1605 7 4551225?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2562fd34b9#ht_500wt_1156
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 4:44 am

Bruce. Gross.

Yeah Bruce. your an awesome dude, but i Won't go that far to be friends.

Meh. I wanted to get this, but I did not see this at all and I live in Seattle -

They might have some in the Goner online store tomorrow.

Next year I'm going to get there early and make sure I bring plenty of money. That way I can grab a bunch of this stuff and sell it to people at cost.
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 11:16 am

well, turns up that i didn't get anything at all. i couldn't really get a chance to dig with so many people already there.. :P boooo.

however, i did get to hear tyler jon tyler and candy golde at reckless in wicker park. i didn't make it anywhere else because i got drunk. heh.
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 2:09 pm

LPs
Ty Rex
Television Live at the Old Waldorf

7"s
13th Floor Elevators
Red Krayola
Freddy King
Bad Brains
Scientists
Trouble In Mind comp.
Buck Owens

Anybody get one of those copies of Big Star 3rd? Missed out on that one.
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 4:37 pm

i've got a couple other live televison lps, live in portland and double exposure. any comparasons, should i try to track it down
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 6:59 pm

The Scientists- I've played both sides of this about 8 times and love it. This was recommended by John and Bruce and I was sceptical. I thought it might be new wave or something. Hell no. This is good old rock n roll and I really dig it. I gotta hear more from these guys.

yep - one of our best - they are playing (well Kim Salmon & Leanne Chock + now sure who else) at a little festival in May in a small rural town about 1/2 hour drive from my place - hopefully I'll get some video footage and put it up

also playing are The New Christs who have x members of Radio Birdman, The Survivors & others

plus a host of local garageniks
Posted: Apr 18, 2011 2:45 am

Yay New Christs...I was about to say, last I checked Kim Salmon was still alive and totally fucking awesome.
Posted: Apr 18, 2011 7:33 am

should i try to track it down

Haven't listened to it yet...still working my way through the pile. I'll let you know.

The only other thing I have is the Blow-Up and a vinyl boot called Arrow, which is the same show.

I really need to hear those 74 demos.

Old but informative Television bootleg site here
Posted: Apr 18, 2011 8:26 am | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

I got the Os Mutantes which kind of killed me a little since I already had it on CD but am 99.9% sure it's in the custody of an ex. Also got the Deerhunter single and the new Softcheque LP, which was not a RSD release.Also, a tattoo.
Posted: Apr 18, 2011 8:59 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Where did you have that done? I've booked an appointment for my buzzard smoking a joint on my back left shoulder.
Posted: Apr 18, 2011 9:04 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Actually that's only if I can't think of anything better by the time of my appointment....I already have a record tattoo, anymore would just be redundant....

I already regret it, because as soon as 24bit super audio catches on I'm done with vinyl...phooooeeey.

Luckily I'm pretty sure any record can easily be turned into a burning tire.
Posted: Apr 18, 2011 10:48 am

5-star
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 2:12 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I'm just joking about being done with vinyl...eventhough I do hope super audio catches on...but I can't operate a cd player much less a faggy mp3 player.

Tattoo looks good...
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 4:13 am

Keepin' it real with the homophobic slurs, I see. I know for a fact you can indeed operate a CD player.
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 4:48 am

A fag is a bundle of sticks my dear.

No it depends on the cd player.
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 4:55 am

I'm not stupid and I'm not your dear.
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 5:12 am

My Mp3 player resembles a bundle of sticks...so what? Quit making false accusations.

Also I spelled "dear" wrong, I meant to call you my "deer" because you're just a girl.
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 5:22 am

I'm not your anything. GFY.
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 5:27 am

I'm a dog and you're a deer:

Posted: Apr 19, 2011 5:40 am

BEST THREAD.

GFY!!!
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 11:19 am

Instead of buying records, I blew up balloons and a friend of mine stepped in one of four big piles of human poop that were full of corn.
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 5:09 pm

smh
smd
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 5:04 am

i managed to miss the record store day in my own store! oops.

but i got a ty segall 12"ep! great stuff, i recommend buying one.

bought post-RSD:
Seeds 10"
red crayola 7"

still need 13th Floor Elevators 7" if anyone's hoarding.
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 2:44 pm

i managed to miss the record store day in my own store! oops.

Everyone at Goner did a great job without you! Record Store day at Goner was hella fun.
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 3:46 pm

Sounds like I should take off more often!

Glad you had a good time and thanks for coming out!
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 4:26 pm

so... nobody's fessin' up on buying that ramones/red hot chili peppers split 7", huh?
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 4:40 pm

it was chico.
Posted: Apr 21, 2011 2:56 am

so... nobody's fessin' up on buying that ramones/red hot chili peppers split 7", huh?

That does beg the question, what was the least desirable RSD 2011 release? I know that Rolling Stones 45 from last year was awful enough that more copies seem to be in bins now than a year ago. What's the dog from this year?
Posted: Apr 21, 2011 5:24 am

Didn't Phish have an RSD release?
Posted: Apr 21, 2011 7:31 am

ramones/red hot chili peppers split 7"

I thought about this but decided I didn't want any RHCP in my collection regardless of how cool the other side was...same deal with all of those colored split things, actually...
Posted: Apr 21, 2011 10:03 am

Posted: Apr 21, 2011 10:49 am

Was happy to spot a Husker Du "Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely" orange 7", until my friend pointed out the flipside was Green Day covering same.
Posted: Apr 23, 2011 2:32 am

Finally scored the Seeds 10inch in the only store that got 'em in Paris (their last copy out of 15) and this thing is truly mind blowing.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®