Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Reel To Reel Basics
Posted: Oct 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Like, when I flip the big switch, these wheels should be turnin', right?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/5088099054_be394abdbf.jpg

Just picked this up with a bunch of blank tape at right about the time that we've got something worthwhile to record. But the wheels don't turn.
Posted: Oct 16, 2010 7:20 pm

Not necessarily. There should be a tensioner arm on there somewhere. If the reel is not threaded correctly, it won't turn. Of course, I'm not seeing it in that picture.
Posted: Oct 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Yeah, if the tape isn't threaded right...no turn. Based on the picture...it ain't threaded right.
Also...clean the heads and tape path every time you use it. If the heads ain't shiney, they ain't clean.
Posted: Oct 17, 2010 2:41 am

Ok. I was thinking figuring out how to thread it would be step two. Guess I'll see if I can look up a diagram. Where should the tensioner arm be? Near the heads? Thanks.
Posted: Oct 17, 2010 4:25 am

It should be after the threads-on the right hand side.
Posted: Oct 17, 2010 6:50 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

If you just want to see if the motor works, some rigs will let you put the full reel on the right and an empty on the left and rewind without the tape routed through the mech.
Posted: Oct 17, 2010 9:46 am

This site probably has a downloadable manual for your machine- http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/sony.shtml. You have to register as a user but it's free.
Posted: Oct 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Awesome. We got it rollin', recorded "Rock & Roll Pt. 3" today!
Thanks for all the help!
Posted: Oct 17, 2010 7:33 pm

I have a similar machine, It's great for drumsJ you can use rubbing alcohol and a qtip to clean.the heads but try not to get any on the rubber roller...
Posted: Oct 18, 2010 6:02 am

you can use rubbing alcohol and a qtip to clean.the heads

Scott and Bruce usually clean each others' heads with the help of some alcohol, too. I don't think I really want to know what they do with Q-Tips.
Posted: Oct 18, 2010 8:34 am

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 2:46 pm

have you heard about these new cassette thingies they got? can forget all about having to thread right!
Posted: Oct 19, 2010 2:55 pm

this is where you come to learn about your golf swing right?
Posted: Oct 19, 2010 6:08 pm

rubbing alcohol

never use rubbing alcohol. denatured alcohol is what you want.
Posted: Oct 19, 2010 8:01 pm

not on your penis, on your elbow
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®