Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Hollies.
Posted: May 20, 2010 2:58 pm

Been listenin to one of there "best of" lp's im diggin "pay you back with interest" bad ass song.
Posted: May 20, 2010 3:05 pm

FUCK YEAH.

Great fucking band.
Posted: May 20, 2010 5:08 pm

Posted: May 20, 2010 6:17 pm

love the hollies
lots of great live youtube clips
Posted: May 24, 2010 11:31 am

Another great example of a 60s band whose quality material goes way beyond the 5 - 6 hits everybody knows.
Posted: May 25, 2010 7:43 am

"pay you back" and "on a carousel" def. two of their best!!!
Posted: May 25, 2010 10:26 am

If it's the same best of we have I think "Can't Let Go" is the best song on there. You must get Evolution!
Posted: May 25, 2010 12:25 pm

Posted: May 26, 2010 3:21 am

Here's my attitude about all music of that era, especially The Hollies. It's what my Mom sang her babies to get them to sleep. Sure it's good, if you like that warm fuzzy feeling of your Mom burping you in a rocking chair.
Posted: May 26, 2010 4:31 am

It's what my Mom sang her babies

The high Graham Nash parts? I'm impressed
Posted: May 26, 2010 5:33 am

Here's my attitude about all music of that era, especially The Hollies. It's what my Mom sang her babies to get them to sleep. Sure it's good, if you like that warm fuzzy feeling of your Mom burping you in a rocking chair.

OK, playin devil's advocate here. . .

First, by "all music of that era," I will assume you mean the 60s.

In the recent greatest bands "holy trinity" thread, you wrote:

Velvet Underground
The Ramones
Big Star

Without these 3 bands you, me, and everyone else would be living in the Twilight Zone....thank god they made awesome music that transcends generations and inspires us still today.

OK, the Ramones were big Spector fans. He even produced an album of theirs! If you have that opinion of the Hollies lord knows what you think of the Crystals.

Big Star - obvious Beatles/Byrds influence, among other things. More lullaby fodder?

The Velvets are somewhat of a special case but Lou was a big Brill Building fan and even aspired to be a writer of that ilk for awhile. Certainly that helps explain stuff like "I'll Be Your Mirror."

Care to restate? Just sayin'.
Posted: May 26, 2010 8:53 am

Beer Joint if you can't take the Hollies - I'd love to hear your take on the Yellow Balloon LP which is probably in my top ten of all time.
Posted: May 26, 2010 9:35 am

I have been known to perform an acapella King Midas In Reverse if the mood is just right
Posted: May 26, 2010 10:25 am

that warm fuzzy feeling of your Mom burping you in a rocking chair
Nice! I like that. Music of today reminds me of crapping in my diaper.

4 best tunes for my ears...

Posted: May 26, 2010 10:47 am

I'm a sucker for those 1910 Fruitgum chugga chugga 8th notes...

Posted: May 26, 2010 12:59 pm

STOP
STOP
STOP
Posted: May 27, 2010 3:05 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

Baby Boomer music...

I mean any teenage girl that wasn't into country or Elvis or Motown soul, was into The Hollies.

Yes my Mom is an awesome singer and that's why I'm an awesome singer.

I don't care what The Ramones were into, they were baby boomers also. Greatest band of all time, but I don't see why I have to like all the shit they were into.
Posted: May 27, 2010 3:08 am

It's not even that I don't like it, it's fine. But it's like saying oh yeah I like The Beatles, or Elvis....I mean who the fuck cares...who doesn't?
Posted: May 27, 2010 3:09 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

Oh yeah I like Buddy Holly...stop the presses....I like The Turtles, Lovin Spoonfull, Monkees, Association and Paul Revere and The Raiders...hey somebody get the corpse of Ted Kennedy on the phone I think we like the same music.
Posted: May 27, 2010 3:24 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

Another interesting point is that the bands I call the holy trinity:

Velvet Underground
The Ramones
Big Star

Really weren't full blown icons until the 90's....which sad to say is my generation. The 90's were basically just a rehash of all the stuff that went under the radar through the 70's and 80's....retro was big, and the most important bands all had their hay day 20 years prior.
Posted: May 27, 2010 3:26 am

here's my fave hollies song:

this alternate arrangement doesn't touch the lp version, but you should be able to get the point.
Posted: May 27, 2010 3:27 am

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®