Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / columbus, ohio
Posted: May 10, 2010 10:54 am

i'm going there for some roller derby shite in a couple of weeks, over memorial day weekend. can someone gimme a rundown of good places to eat there and things to do? i'm staying downtown and have a lot of stuff i gotta do during the day, but i have my evenings free and am looking for anything good going on. thanks!
Posted: May 10, 2010 11:18 am

I think I went downtown for shows maybe twice the whole time I lived there. I lived off Summit bout half a block from Cafe Bourbon St. No car so I basically called that place home. Nick, Lula, Gene Mullett, or the Vegetable Man are the ones to ask. I don't think any of my Feelers bros get on here anymore.
Posted: May 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Be sure to check out used kids records! And say hi to tom!!
Posted: May 10, 2010 5:42 pm

and skyline chilli, get a dawg with the hot sauce on the table, apparently you could go into surly's and see if marcy may is working, there's kind of a giant food mall sort of downtown, still, i think(?)
Posted: May 10, 2010 5:46 pm

restaurants/bars in that area -- tip top is cool & downtown. betty's & surly girl are in nearby short north, just up high street. stay out of the douchebag arena district.

there's some sort of beerfest going on that weekend downtown. saturday afternoon maybe?

columbus clippers (tribe's AAA affiliate) are in town & playing night games that weekend. stadium is basically downtown (in the arena district).

good chance there's bands at cafe bourbon st, summit & carabar. carabar has no cover. you'd have to drive to any of those although cabs aren't so hard here.

record shopping = used kids (across from campus), lost weekend (north of campus) & magnolia thunderpussy (short north).
Posted: May 11, 2010 2:48 am

You could buy some negro perfume on High Street.
Posted: May 11, 2010 10:00 am

Columbus & inexpensive good food "downtown" is basically not a reality, except for taco trucks: http://tacotruckscolumbus.com/. Betty's & Surly Girl (in the short north) are both pretty good for less expensive neo-american standards like mac n cheese and microbrews. The Flatiron is good. The Short North neighborhood has a ton of really decent, but not so cheap food, galleries, etc. and is close to downtown. http://www.shortnorth.org/dining.asp

Dirty Frank's downtown for good hot dogs.

Jeni's Ice Cream is a must if you like ice cream http://jenisicecreams.com/locations-shortnorth.html

The North Market rules for all kinds of food and is I think the food mall Bruce speaks of: http://www.northmarket.com/

My sister works at 3rd & Hollywood in Grandview, it's really good for $15 a plate or so of all organic & sustainable foodstuffs.

Cheap bar/diner late night eats/hangover cures at the Blue Danube (don't expect much), and Hounddog's pizza is yummy, these are north of campus close-ish to Cafe Bourbon Street.

Dave might be cooking cheap and good food at Cafe Bourbon Street, too, he used to own the infamous Taco Ninja.

Columbus is mostly overpriced, bland yupster fodder. There are good Indian, Ethiopian... etc. if you are interested, but nothing downtown that I can think of right now. Downtown is laaaaaaaaaaaaame. Closes up at 5pm for the most part, just please, please stay away from the arena/brewery districts. Yikes.

Carabar is east of downtown, and pretty close, no idea who is playing that weekend because they never EVER have a calendar posted. They also have decent bar food. Cafe Bourbon St doesn't have anything up for that weekend, either, but I guarantee you something worthwhile is happening there.

Oldfield's on High has had good shows lately, I think new owners are involved, also north campus.

If you go a bit east of downtown on Main, toward my hood, there is some good pizza, like Rofini's (thin crust), Bexley Pizza Plus (thick, tavern-ish, try the steak portabella) an old school steak house called The Top ($$$$), a scotch bar and chinese restaurant called Wing's... But I'm east-centric.

I don't know, there's a ton of stuff in Clintonville, the villages, etc. but not anything you're gonna be excited you went out of your way to eat. Just my opinion.

Used Kids is a must.

I may have a cookout this weekend if we're in town, better than most of this food :)
Posted: May 11, 2010 10:02 am

The North Market rules for all kinds of food and is I think the food mall Bruce speaks of: http://www.northmarket.com/
yep
Posted: May 11, 2010 3:47 pm

I second Bourbon St.!! and say hi to Alix, or Alex.
Posted: May 11, 2010 4:27 pm

and say hi to Alix, or Alex.
That's Aleks. Aleksey to be exact
Posted: May 12, 2010 7:42 pm

awesome! thanks for all your help! :) and i am *definitely* going to have to try out that jeni's ice cream place. sounds incredibly delicious.

bruce, i lived in cincinnati for a minute, so i know about skyline chili. i don't know why i love it so much because it's disgusting as hell, but dammit i find myself craving a 5 way with some hot sauce and oyster crackers and a coney all the damn time. i think they put crack in their chili because there's no way on earth that i should wanna eat that crap. heh.
Posted: May 13, 2010 2:56 am

that's what i'm talking about, it's been along time since i've lived in c-bus but still have that craving
Posted: May 13, 2010 3:02 am

I recommended skyline to my parents once, and when I asked them how it was, they got upset and told me it tasted like dog food. I couldn't argue with them.
Posted: May 13, 2010 3:06 am

I prefer Gold Star.
Posted: May 13, 2010 8:52 pm

have a happy time ellle!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®