Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Need inspiration for paint colors
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 8:12 am

Anybody got any great paint colors?

I'm getting crazy and thinking I might want a mild turquoise in the kitchen to compliment all the bright red.

Also, need some good colors for growing kids - pinks that won't look so babyish; blues that will still look ok once the boy outgrows the sports theme - you know that kind of stuff

I'm drawing a blank and I have been in plenty of goner homes that have cool color schemes...
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 9:14 am

Windy - I'd say go on Flickr. There are 10 million photo groups on there like "Offbeat Inspirations" or "50's Interiors" or you can just look up Kitchen or something like that. I can look at Flickr for hours.
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 9:39 am

I never would have thought of that! thanks Lisa.
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 12:03 pm

for little girls on the brink of becoming young ladies: hot pink + orange

for little boys, i'm leaning towards the primary combo - red blue green, very masculine

kitchens - go provencal!
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 1:17 pm

Posted: Feb 9, 2009 1:49 pm

hot pink + orange

yep - she's also liking lime green

go provencal!
?????
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 3:56 pm

SSSSSSSSS - wow. that's really cool, and not just for paint colors
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 4:20 am

no good ideas, but i just painted a showroom floor and exterior in a dark grey blue color called CYBERSPACE
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 5:22 am

go provencal!
?????

French Country...UGH!!!!
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 5:56 am

you no likey the yellow/blue thing lisa?

i like it because its so sunny -- i'm not talking about the designs and patterns that french country fabric makers like and slap on the fabric --- just the palette

sunny yellow and a blue that's not quite cobalt, but definitely BLUE and bright and cheery

there's also a blue / orange combo that not baseball/Mets like - its very sunny and cheery without being gay or fey and i thought it would bring some sunny mediterranean warmth to the cold michigan winters
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 8:39 am

Colorwise...maybe just for "inspiration" but beyond that icht don't think so...it just smacks of "I decorated my kitchen by shopping at Marshalls and TJ MAXX!" Yellow is definitely kitchen-y...one of our old kitchens was painted yellow and all our appliances were/are orange and we loved it...very bright and cheery. I think Windy is on target with a light turq. with red accents...retro meets contemporary.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 8:40 am | Edited by: Chicken

I have an entire unopened gallon of a great bold blue. I put the primer blue on first and loved that so much that I left it and never used the actual color I bought. It is kind of like a superman blue.

recently painted my kitchen a warm rusty terra cotta. makes me hungry. and it goes great with the mexican tile.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 9:24 am

Here's what I found so far all at Lowe's,:

Valspar - simply aqua for the kitchen
either coconut cream or enlightenment for hallway outside the kitchen (scroll down to the third photo to see the color)

kids rooms -

girl - found three awesome colors - hearty hosta, pink singe and firecracker (a melon shade)

found some kick ass colors for other rooms. woohoo!

TK _ i'm not a fan of the yellow and blue for myself. My mom loves that color combo so it has turned me off of it a little. I know what you mean about it being so bright and cheery (if done right) If I hadn't already invested in a lot of red for the kitchen (microwave, vintage curtains,etc) I would probably have considered that color scheme or some bright greens.

I am absolutely in love with Andria's decor and I am trying to incorporate some of the elements she has used without totally ripping off her ideas, hence the turquoise.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 9:59 am

i had a red kitchen once. the only thing i have left is a red trivet. and curtains that are in a box somewhere.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 10:25 am

i'm diggin' this pink we put up.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 10:41 am

i'm diggin' this pink we put up.

I like it too - at your house. I just can't see me putting pink paint on the walls. I also liked the shade of pink that billisa had at their old place.

I always get caught up in thinking that all the rooms should coordinate in color, but I am s l o w l y moving away from that, hence the AQUA in the kitchen.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 10:42 am

everything with me starts with orange lately

layers and layers of it
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 10:47 am

hey windy - light turquoise and red is FAB

i am not a fan of earth colors for the same reason you are not a fan of yellow/blue -- it was my mom's palette... so yellow/blue was about as far away from brown that i could get in a kitchen. mine's white, however. someday, the cupboards will be painted red. red & white. i guess i should re-think that one
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 10:49 am

all our appliances were/are orange

I love the roe kitchen.

I'm also a big fan of teal-aqua/orange and red combinations.

Joe, somehow I love that.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 10:50 am

mine's white, however. someday, the cupboards will be painted red. red & white.

I'm working on this right now, and have all white with orange and white cabinets... It's ok. I'm reconsidering.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 10:58 am

I love the roe kitchen.

ditto, at least last time I saw it. orange, owls, and I think old ads or cartoon trays???
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 11:34 am

old kitchen - http://www.flickr.com/photos/9864204@N02/765050491/

Our new kitchen color is not as exciting but we have space for more art crap...
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 11:59 am

hey windy - light turquoise and red is FAB

agreed!
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 12:41 pm

Our new kitchen color is not as exciting but we have space for more art crap...

when do we get to see photos of the new house?
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 12:45 pm

awww, thanks, Windy! my primary piece of advice is -- spring for the expensive paint! you don't have to go to benjamin moore, but I would at last go to sherwin-williams. I dunno about lowe's, but the home depot paint is pretty crappy... and keep in mind that it's always, always gonna be a work-in-progress -- I have someone over here working on projects this week (fixed kitchen ceiling hole, making me a blackboard for the front room, etc. i will take pics when i can. in the meantime, check out my 2 favorite decor blogs, decor8 and design*sponge.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 12:54 pm

I love the roe kitchen.

ditto, at least last time I saw it. orange, owls, and I think old ads or cartoon trays???

i liked the old place on cortez, the yellow kitchen. the place on milwaukee will always have a soft spot in my heart because that was where i first had a sausage and caramelized onion pizza from homemade. i swear i think of that like an addict remembers his first high.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 12:55 pm

milwaukee will always have a soft spot in my heart because that was where i first had a sausage

does Lisa know? zing!
Posted: Feb 11, 2009 2:04 am | Edited by: Miss Faye

hot pink + orange

This is my favorite color combo. Throw in some plum and chocolate, and we're really talkin'! It makes me think of saris.

That said, I painted my bedroom and hall walls dove gray, the LR and DR walls kind of a caramelly-latte-camel color, and my kitchen a muted greenish-yellowish color. All but the DR and LR are kinda light, which is a departure for me, but it's working.

I've always wanted a wall or a room in kind of a dusty raspberry color. I'm going to have to redo my bathroom at some point. If I do b/w tiles instead of beadboard, I may be able to pull it off as a wall color. I dunno. I'm sure I'll be asking fior suggestions once I get sick of looking at the laths in there...
Posted: Feb 11, 2009 2:05 am

Oh, and I love the aqua you picked out Windy. I was going to suggest Tiffany blue, but the lighter one is pretty and probably easier to work with.
Posted: Feb 11, 2009 2:09 am

everything with me starts with orange lately

Are those yours? I didn't know you painted. I'm digging #1 and #6.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®