Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / On a first name basis with Barack, Michelle and Joe...
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 7:52 pm

man oh man do i regret signing up for notices at barackobama.com

every day, i receive an email addressed to me personally, "dear theresa," and it goes on to talk about whatever... and ALWAYS asks for just $5. i know that's not much but keeyrist.... i'm tired of this already.... that campaign raised $150 MILLION right after the RNC convention alone!!! they don't need $5 from someone who doesn't get paid on a regular schedule. but these high profile folks are laying it on thick... signing their cyber panhandling, "Barack," "Michelle" and "Joe."

i already voted and i voted for you. ISN'T THAT ENOUGH?????
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 8:33 pm

Electronic Michelle's been callin' my house every day...I GET IT, LADY, HE'S GOT MY VOTE TOO, BACK THE FUCK OFF!!
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 2:47 am

these high profile folks

you mean, elitists...
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 3:18 am | Edited by: Alisa

I gave them five bucks because I thought it was refreshing that they asked me for just five bucks. I can't afford to give them any more, so I just delete the emails.
They've inundated me too, but I don't really mind. I think it's pretty fantastic the way they have utilized the internet during the campaign.

I did get super pissed at a video email that Move.On sent me yesterday, and wrote them a nasty letter about it. It was one of those "personalized" videos that indicated that if I didn't vote I was personally responsible for the supposed loss of the election. You know, it was real cutesy, with "man on the street" interviews, and famous people interviews saying that "Alisa didn't vote and we lost the election just because of that one person". They used my whole name.
I don't know why it pissed me off so, except that I've voted in every election that I could have since I was 18.

I have not had any calls to the house.

Don't worry, the fund raising deadline is done...so, no more money calls. Now they'll just be pleading with you to vote. And rightly so.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 3:29 am

How is this not typical?
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 4:21 am

man oh man do i regret signing up for notices at barackobama.com
I get them e-mails from Biden to.
the subjects are always like:
"The fight is not over"
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 6:30 am

How is this not typical?

it IS typical, but i can be really sick of it, right?
thankfully none of the electronic michelle, barack or joe have called me....

that MoveOn video would piss me off too. i haven't ever clicked on any video any of them have sent me.

from my experience at PBS, where I KNOW that about 97 cents of every dollar raised pays for the fundraising campaign.... i wish that MoveOn would spend their contributions in less Twilight Zone ways. they preach to the choir. i think everyone does though
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 6:32 am

We got a call from Roseanne Barr the other night.
she is shilling for Cindy Sheehan, who's running against Pelosi
Predictably, she went on FAR TOO LONG......
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 6:46 am

Here's a wacky idea: remove yourself from the e-mail list.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 6:48 am

I did get super pissed at a video email that Move.On sent me yesterday, and wrote them a nasty letter about it. It was one of those "personalized" videos that indicated that if I didn't vote I was personally responsible for the supposed loss of the election. You know, it was real cutesy, with "man on the street" interviews, and famous people interviews saying that "Alisa didn't vote and we lost the election just because of that one person". They used my whole name.
I don't know why it pissed me off so, except that I've voted in every election that I could have since I was 18.

I also got that video (with my name), and it pissed me off too.

You can customize it to send it to your "friends," to scare them into voting. But the one I got was sent to me directly by MoveOn (not a friend) with a subject line of "Jay - you're in this video, seriously." Maybe it's because I've been really seriously following this election, and really disgusted with the "politics of fear" that's been so prevalent already, but I didn't think the video was funny, and I didn't like the suggestion that someone who doesn't vote should be ostracized publicly like that. I don't like the "scare tactic" approach.

I voted last Saturday. Despite the reality of the electoral college, I agree with the concept that every vote counts. I just think there are better ways to get that message across. I'm much more concerned about voter suppression and vote theft than I am about actual voter turnout.

But then, among the few people with whom I've discussed this particular MoveOn campaign, almost everybody thinks it's funny and great. I'm probably being a big plastic bag baby about it.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 6:50 am

that MoveOn video would piss me off too

The move on video is pure marketing genius...you can put anyone's name in it.
http://www.cnnbcvideo.com/index.html?nid=79lAzpyCW7B291vn4GwprTM3MTczM DM-&referred_by=2995022-M5vs7Rx
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 7:33 am

I also got that video (with my name), and it pissed me off too.

You can customize it to send it to your "friends," to scare them into voting. But the one I got was sent to me directly by MoveOn (not a friend) with a subject line of "Jay - you're in this video, seriously." Maybe it's because I've been really seriously following this election, and really disgusted with the "politics of fear" that's been so prevalent already, but I didn't think the video was funny, and I didn't like the suggestion that someone who doesn't vote should be ostracized publicly like that. I don't like the "scare tactic" approach.

EXACTLY. (Mine was directly from Move On too.)
Glad to hear I wasn't knee jerking, as it really did piss me off, and I wrote and told them so.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 7:39 am

By the way, I just got back from voting and am feeling damned American. I mean, maybe even more American than some Americans (thank you, governor Palin!)
Honestly, it was pretty thrilling.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 7:47 am | Edited by: rich riggler

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®