| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / shameless self-promotion
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 1:49 pm

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 2:27 pm

congrats!
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 2:42 pm

thankee!
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 8:58 am

i love the shameless self promotion thread.

let's see...i just made a pretty awesome dinner. and three nights ago i sewed some pretty rad curtains!

and i'm doing publicity for jack lemmon's son (is that self promotion or name dropping??).
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 9:34 am

i just made a pretty awesome dinner

now this is the kind of talk that excites me. details please!!! i wanna know how living in germany has or has not changed your eating / cooking habits - what's the fresh food available now - how are the seasons different (hotter/cooler?), etc.

last night, i made a savory cheesecake - a tequila/lime/poblano twist on your standard cream cheese thingie. crust was part masa, part corn tortilla chips, spiced up w/ cayenne
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:31 am

self promotion or name dropping??

lame dropping?
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:40 am

jesus. i can't tell you what i cooked--it's like cardboard in comparison! but honestly, it wasn't bad. bio tortellini and then i made a fresh sauce of long green onions, tomatoes on the stem (that smell like tomatoes, if you know what i mean), and this really weird and beautiful green plant that looks like a succulent herb. i don't know what it is, but it's so cool looking and all the turkish women were buying it, so i gave it a try.

ok, food here is cheap--grocery products and marketplace products. for instance, 6 massive tomatoes on a stem cost me 1.30 tonight. 1.30! at home i would have never picked them up off the stand because i would have known they'd cost me close to 10. you cannot find cilantro (i did ONCE) and so mexican does not exist here, which is a major bummer for me. harry would never survive.

they don't really do steaks and burgers, either, which is a bummer for me. i love that shit.

i eat a LOT of vietnamese--there are a lot of asians here--but i did that in new york, so that's not new.

i eat all the time at this bavarian place. it's is so fattening. oh my god. i get turkey schnitzel because i can't figure out what anything else is and i'm afraid of ordering blood. but the best part--and the reason i keep going back besides the house red wine--is this native bavarian side dish called knodel. it's different breads all mashed together and then pan fried in butter. all the different breads combined make it look like a calico. it's damn good. and to show you cheap: that meal with one glass of wine and a salad with various lettuces (including endive and arugula) and sprouts, is 9.90. no lie. nine euros 90.

and i know the economy in the world is terrible and so i hate to mention this all here, knowing that some of you aren't doing so well. please forgive me. for the most part, though, i ate like shit in nyc for 15 years, and so this is my brief respite.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:44 am

i don't know, sambeaux, it's pretty cool to be turned down by larry king live and under consideration by CBS's The Early Show all in one day. only names like that get your emails read.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 11:04 am

last night, i made a savory cheesecake - a tequila/lime/poblano twist on your standard cream cheese thingie. crust was part masa, part corn tortilla chips, spiced up w/ cayenne

Figure out a way to ship that and I'll be first in line to spend a silly amount of dosh for it.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 12:42 pm

Groovy baby! That was a really good article, and nice work as always Theresa.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 12:55 pm

i think i wanna see if i can grow cilantro in germany!
when i first started going to england in the 70s, i couldn't get mexican food to save my life and asked my dad to send me $$ so i could open a taco bell franchise... i wish he had so i could have been the one to start the mexican food thingie there

jenna - did you ever eat at this place in NYC that looks like xmas all the time on 3rd ave - a german place on 23rd & 3rd? i never remember the name - but it had a few of those menu items. does any one here who is in or from or has been to NYC know that place i'm talking about?

tomatoes - the good ones are expensive... i'm so jealous! vine ripened tomatoes so cheap. i started growing my own and they're now all turning red. i spent $6 on plants and by the week's end, i'll have dozens of vine ripened tomatoes. i highly recommend "farming" to everyone.

and thanks Mickey, for checking out the article.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 1:27 pm

this place in NYC that looks like xmas all the time on 3rd ave - a german place on 23rd & 3rd? i never remember the name - but it had a few of those menu items. does any one here who is in or from or has been to NYC know that place i'm talking about?

That's gotta be Rolf's, a fine place to drink.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 2:09 pm

yes - it is rolf's! i lived a block away from there for years and years and only went in there once, with a ton of people who wanted to drink german beer. i just loved walking by tho - the decor is pretty crazy
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 4:01 am

While we're at it... TK should also receive highest commendation for those amazing b'day brownies she delivered to me in person. So. Damn. Delicious. WOW!
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 4:07 am

dosh

i hate that word. i bet heir lick uses it too.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 6:43 am

why thank you gina! hope you had a great birthday.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 6:50 am

There's a guy in my office who says it all the time, and it's rubbed off. The good news is that "wanker" and "taking the piss" both remain firmly outside of my vocabulary.

Regardless, seeing the description of that cheesecake this morning has got me salivating all over again.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 7:58 am

There's a guy in my office who says it all the time,

tell his black ass to go back to africa.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 8:11 am

tell his black ass to go back to africa.

Dosh "money" dates from about 1944. Some etymologists think it may come from doss "bivvy", the notion of dosh being one of "money to pay for room and board (a place to "bivvy" or sleep)", while others think it is a conflation of dollars and cash. This latter would suggest an American origin, perhaps plausible given the word's appearance in around 1944, but it is unlikely as it is unknown in the U.S.

As neither of these explanations is satisfactory, we would like to propose another. It is possible that this is a modern version of dash meaning a "tip" or "gratuity". Dash is believed to derive from dashee, a West African word that first appeared in print in 1788. A commentator on the African slave trade noted that dashes were made to "the Kings of Bonny". We presume that the kingdom of "Bonny" was the extensive African civilization which we now refer to as Benin.

Wow, I seriously had no idea---I was under the assumption that it was just British slang. As it seems to be, I'll strike that from the lexicon.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 8:54 am

Regardless, seeing the description of that cheesecake this morning has got me salivating all over again.

now i am inspired to teach cooking via youtube...

its very easy to make if you have the right kitchen tools
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®