Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / now THIS is a harsh critic
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 6:47 pm

i don't think there's ANY hater or hater-wannabe on this board who can lash out at a piece of work like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/08/books/08kaku.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

michiko kakutani's review of martin amis's latest. i love amis's fiction and a lot of his essays, criticism and non-fiction. i now HAVE to read this because i need to know if its this badly thought out.

here's how the review ends:
“The Second Plane” is such a weak, risible and often objectionable volume that the reader finishes it convinced that Mr. Amis should stick to writing fiction and literary criticism, as he’s thoroughly discredited himself with these essays as any sort of political or social commentator.

so... the "lame" or "gay" trashing so dished out here for our version of literary works (ie: songs, records)... well, that won't do anymore. critics... there's a new benchmark in town.
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 3:00 am

Kakutani is usually level, but I can't imagine Amis being so weak.
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 3:59 am

“The Second Plane” is such a weak, faggy, risible and often objectionable volume that the reader finishes it convinced that Mr. Amis should stick it up his own ass and fart. He is a complete gay-bomb when he is not writing fiction and literary criticism, as he’s thoroughly shit all over himself with these essays as any sort of political or social, homosexual commentator.
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 4:01 am

Money is funny as hell but Amis does kinda rewrite the same book over and over, if not in plot then in tone...
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 4:54 am

And Amis has nothing to say about this latest chilling development in terrorism. For shame!
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 6:00 am

The last time I read an Amis novel (I think it was The Information), I spent more time looking up words in the dictionary than actually reading the book.
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 6:05 am

I can't imagine Amis being so weak.

well, he wants to be Hitchens, but doesn't have the balls.

he's smart enough, but he has the giant chip on his shoulder of being an Amis - the Lesser Amis. He'll never write anything for the ages the way his father did. People are still assigning LUCKY JIM in lit classes... MARTIN Amis not so much... even though BOTH Amis's first novels won the Somerset Maugham Award for among other things, capturing the vibe of the times so accurately

Martin Amis's memoir, entitled EXPERIENCE, was wholly un-readable to me but you do get the relationship between father and son and can see why the younger Amis elects the position he does - acerbic and cynical beyond the postmodern fray... works in literature, but he can't make it work in reality it seems.

well, I still like his novels for the most part. LONDON FIELDS was a great read, even though you could see the author inserting himself in the narrative in a not-so-subtle way. at the end of the day, regardless of his opinions... he has a way with words, a turn of phrase that so entertains (the acerbic cynic in) me.

too bad he seems to be a douche bag in this case... how one could completely overlook a kitten suicide bomber is simply unacceptable!
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 8:54 am

i liked times arrow. i had to read it for a class.
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 10:15 am

I read a menu once
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 10:35 am

Music journalism would improve 100% if records were reviewed like this. Im so sick of the "dont write about anything you dont like" school of music criticism...the whole its not my cuppa tea tea but if you like thats just great style 99% of music critics crank out makes them unimportant. Who gives a shit about what you like as a critic if we dont know what you hate? What you like is of no importance if every one of your reviews is "Good job fellas" Fuck this everybody gets a trophy shit...music aint tee ball.
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 10:48 am

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 11:26 am

journalism would improve 100% if

critics wrote as well as, and explained their position the way kakutani does.
i don't know if you read the beginning of the article, the end of which i quoted... but the criticisms are precise, the offending original work is quoted and analysis, or at least support for the criticism is given and so is context.

i'm ALL FOR scathing critiques. i've been on both sides of same. bad writing, on the other hand, is inexcusable and unacceptable. opinions are just that; and that i can live with.
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

i'll stick with Pinchon
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 7:14 am

i'll stick with Pinchon

Pinche who?
Pinche pendejo?
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 7:46 am

for a second there, i thought you wrote "pinochet"
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 8:10 am

the only bad writing is writing that is boooooooring

which both the book and critique seem to be
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®