Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Feral kittens born on my front porch tonight...
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 4:50 pm

this is a damned-if-i-do-damned-if-i-don't situation...

earlier today, one of the dogs couldn't get her nose away from this corner booth type sitting device we have in a corner of the front porch. i figured a mouse, rat, vole or other rodent ran back behind it and the dog smelled it and was trying to flush it out

but

this evening, my friend who was over for dinner kept hearing a kitten cry. i told him we had two cats in the house and that was probably what he was hearing... he didn't know we had two cats, so he went inside to try to see either of them, but he didn't hear the meowing

so we followed the sound and it was coming from between the house and the seat.

it was dark by this point, so i went to get a flashlight, and yes, lo and behold, a cat was back there... so we pulled the seat away from the house and the cat scurried away but the meowing continued

we lifted the seat up and leaned it against us and found in the space under the seat, IN the wood frame that the seat perches upon... three creatures that at first i thought were mice... but when we looked closer... they were new born kittens... one crying... another on the verge of death and the other one totally dead (stillborn?)

i called animal control, which of course, was closed but there outgoing message didn't have a number that connected with any person on duty.

we didn't want to dispose of the dead kitten, and the dying one had died by this point... and we also didn't want to move the one that was alive, so as to upset the mother, which we hoped would return to nurse her baby...

in my house we already have 3 dogs, 2 cats and we are baby sitting a 2-month old puppy for 4 days... so bringing in a new born feral kitten is out of the question....

will the mother cat come back?
why would the pregnant cat come to a house where 3 dogs live and roam freely on the property to have her kittens anyway? can't she smell the dogs?

i don't know what to do for this lone kitten that's going to need its mother... and i have no idea if the mother is going to come back in the middle of the night to nurse her kitten...

anyone have an experience like this at all? what do i do?
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 5:18 pm

Get some formula and a bottle. Its gonna be a long night.
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 5:46 pm

where's bvalentine?
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 6:13 pm

Seems as though mama cat may not be well herself. 3 is not a big litter to begin with...and why have 2 died? Can she not produce enough milk because she's malnourished? I'm with Bowie...but where do you get such formula and tiny bottle? Is there an emergency vet clinic nearby?
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 6:22 pm

have no fear...

call 911?
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 6:29 pm

Kill it. Let it end now. It's ugly, but it's fast.
911 is for emergencies.
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 6:30 pm

eye dropper
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 7:05 pm

Keep 'em as warm as possible and you have to rub a warm cloth or it's belly to aid in the digestion. That's what all that licking is about getting those insides to digest. If you can get the momma cat captured too it is more likely animal control will not put down the kitten, other wise without a nursing cat on hand they can't care for the kitten. It's a heart breaker. Best of luck.
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 7:20 pm

we got our newest kitten before its eyes were open, and it also was deaf. the mother cat wasnt around and the people were going to throw it out as they were being evicted but we took the little rugrat in and named him roky. hes totally wild and we had to feed him with an eyedropper and shit. it was so worth it. the other cats hated him, i thought they might kill him as he was obviously very weak but then he got into a can of clam chowder and they all licked him off, thats when they decided he was ok.
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 2:51 am

it appears that the mother cat must have come and spirited the kittens because they are all gone from that hiding place
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 3:10 am

That is exactly what she did. Hopefully she can help her one live; I have seen that happen before. There are animal rescues everywhere and there are people who can come out, grab mama and the baby and take them home to help them get through it. Where are you right now? Nashville or LA? Call the ASPCA.
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 6:24 am

i'm in nashville. i woke up early specifically TO CALL the ASPCA - since none of those agencies has anyone answering phones on weekends, esp. weekend nights. so, i went out to check on the cats and they were gone

i still can't figure out why that cat thought this porch, with 3 dogs, one of which is a pit bull, wandering around all day, was a safe place to give birth
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 6:47 am

They never cease to blow my mind with the choices of their habitats. There is one we feed outside in a wood shed here at my aunt's house who could have her choice of a jillion, more comfy spots. The wood pile is easily the most unattractive and exposed area in the backyard.
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 7:39 pm

I had this really dumb girlfriend that worked for PETA when we lived in Norfolk Va and she was trying to impress her coworkers so she agreed to let 2 FERAL CATS live in our HOUSE... So after one day one was always trying to attack me hile talking a piss... They came and got that one...after a few days.. The second one was okay . I named it "crazy".. I had two other house cats that would hang out with him. But when I would walk in the room in would freak out.. And my other cats would look around like ..."what the fuck".. So after a few months. Crazy would let us pet him.. But he than put a whole in our wall which he lived in.. Which the other cats would hang out in too... One day a 45 I cant remember which one was broken and had cat claw marks over it.. GoodBye Crazy... He was asked to live...
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 7:44 pm

my kitten picks out records all the time, whenever im digging through he gets a gleeful look on his face and tears ass over by me, and starts clawing out piles of albums, everything is a toy for the little fucker. never really destroyed one yet, but the other night he was scratching records on the turntable like a DJ, he would put his paw down and make it stop, pull it towards him, let it go, etc. it was pretty dope. me and amber were laughing like hell (and raising the roof)
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 8:05 pm

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 8:16 pm

my old roommate's cat thought it was cute to use the top of my record collection, which was at the time stacked against the wall in several "piles" or whatever, as a scratching post. needless to say, that cat and i did not get along very well. i wasn't a big fan of the cat to begin with as she had a salty disposition and was not affectionate whatsoever. i had to make sure that i closed the door to my room or the record covers would be shredded on the top or there would be some excrement on the floor. terrible cat. terrible terrible.
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 8:23 pm

salty disposition hahaha
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 9:20 pm

that cat was a mean bitch.
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 10:04 pm

my kitten picks out records all the time, whenever im digging through he gets a gleeful look on his face and tears ass over by me, and starts clawing out piles of albums, everything is a toy!

You sound like you love rainbows and Pegasus horses!
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 8:34 am

shiny happy people holding hands....
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®