Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / what makes a computer run...
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 7:40 pm

at 60% of its normal speed?

i'm importing a CD. its contents are 59 minutes worth of music
iTunes tells me that its importing at 0.6x and that the time left to rip that stuff is more than the length of the original CD in the first place!

it didn't used to be this way. when should i shoot this horse?
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Now...
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 8:59 pm

hmmm
take the cd out and clean it.
reboot
uhhh...
also, fuck itunes
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 9:02 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Here's my shot in the dark. I'm guessing the IDE channel your burner's on got put into PIO mode. Gotta get that thing back to DMA.

You running Mac, Win or something more exotic?

If it's the most common setup, Windows and an IDE drive...

-Right click on My Computer
-Click on Properties
-Click on Hardware tab
-Click on Device Manager button
-Click on plus sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
-Look for *** **** Parallel ATA Controller (asterisks could be a few different words)
-Right click on it.
-Click on Properties.
-Find your burner on Primary or Secondary Channel tabs.
-If it says PIO mode under your burner, that's the problem.

You can try unchecking the Let bios select transfer mode and manually setting it to Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra 33 then click the OK button. works for some combinations of hardware...
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 9:04 pm

its a retarded old (2005) dell running windows XP
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 9:05 pm

fuck that shit, just check the fuses and kick the tires.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 9:06 pm

clean your cd. dont do anything else while its ripping. use cdex rather than itunes to rip cds.

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 9:07 pm

restart your computer and try again.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 9:09 pm

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 9:19 pm

so you're right.... it was in PIO mode - that is the Current Transfer Mode.
what is selected is "DMA if available"
i cannot manually change PIO mode

the only things i can change are
transfer mode - drop down menu - choices PIO Only; DMA if Available
that's for Device 1

Device 0 has a current transfer mode of Ultra DMA Mode 5

i am not sure which is device 0 and which is device 1
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 9:15 am

Sometimes just removing the Drive from device manager and restarting does the trick...

-Right click on My Computer
-Click on Properties
-Click on Hardware tab
-Click on Device Manager button
-Click on Plus sign next to DVD/CD ROM
-right click on your burner.
-click on uninstall

Then restart your computer, let windows find your drive and pray that it gets some DMA action.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 9:31 am

thanks
i'll give it a try
i just want a new computer
this dog has 3 legs
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 10:02 am

Thats why I use SONIC!
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 10:28 am

what you use to rip cds won't help a whole lot if your burner's in PIO mode.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 10:45 am

Theresa I have the exact same computer, year and all. It shits out after about a year, and everything gets reaaaaaaaallly slow. I would recommend adding some ram and memory. helped me lots.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 10:52 am

i use a 40 dollar compaq deskpro thats a decade old. updated the ram to full capacity, put in a 40 gig hard drive, the sucker purrs, runs perfectly, loads up in about 20 seconds and im online in a minute. put in a 48x cd drive and 4x dvd drive myself, they work pretty damn fast. its been on without being shut off since june and still works perfect. loaded xp pro on it and it works fine. i wouldnt know a IDE ATA/ATAPI controller or PIO if it landed on my head.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 1:48 pm

It shits out after about a year,

no kidding.... this mule has been slowly crapping out after about a year...

i need a real workhorse laptop but can't afford the one i want. this one feels disposable... and i guess dell thinks that its is!
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 4:56 pm

12 year olds downloading games and God-knows-what-else onto them. I'm getting my own laptop and it's off-limits!
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 5:41 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

i need a real workhorse laptop but can't afford the one i want. this one feels disposable... and i guess dell thinks that its is!
Oh, you're on a laptop! really doesn't change anything, but i didn't know.

Most computer makers like people to get new ones approximately every 3 years. Doesn't matter if it's Dell, HP, Apple, Sony, ....

If I had it in my hands, I'm sure I could get that thing back into DMA action. You know the model number of your Dell Lappy, by any chance? I might be able to point you in the right direction over the board...
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 6:24 pm

BLOOD! BLOOD!
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 8:43 pm

SSSSSSS - dell inspiron 2200
piece of crap but it was cheap
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 8:45 pm

If I had it in my hands,

are you in memphis by any chance?
i am here for a few days
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 5:52 pm

i use a compaq laptop from 98 to run mame and listen to music. decade old, works perfectly
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 6:19 pm

Compaq/HP laptops have proven suprisingly durable. Toshibas aren't bad either. Dell Inspirons on the other hand are complete hunks of shit in my opinion. Conversely, Dell Latitude notebooks are great. You could buy a 4 year old latitude for $300 and it will last you 5-10 years. I've said it many times on here before, but Dell's consumer line of computers SUCK. They use the consumer as a guinea pig while selling the good products to their business/corporate/government users.
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 6:54 pm

Dell Inspirons on the other hand are complete hunks of shit in my opinion.

you ain't kidding!

one of my clients hooked me up with this computer when my iBook monitor died and i found that the monitor for the iBook was MORE than this hunk of crap... but it was an emergency situation, so i was happy to have SOMETHING... but day in and day out, this computer proves just how CRAPPY it is

martel, i'm taking you with me when i get my next computer, even if i just have you on the phone while i'm ordering online
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 7:30 pm

what makes a computer run...

The Electric Prunes!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®