Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / i got hit by a drunk driver.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 6:21 am

i got my car totalled by some drunk dude fucking with his stereo. got my face beat up a lil. suck ass. i got hit head on. like i'm talkin' bout some face burn from the airbag and all that. suckage. massively.

anyone else get in any bad car wrecks before?
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 8:50 am

damn elle....I'm sorry that happened.
Are you okay other than what you stated?
Does dude have insurance?
Hope you feel better
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 8:59 am

I'm glad you're okay (other than the stuff you mentioned)!!!!

I feel your airbag pain. When I was in college, I was picking up a cd off the floor (I was in the passenger seat), and we hit a car head-on. Some jackass decided to make a last minute left hand turn across three lanes of traffic on North Parkway.

The airbag knocked me out and gave me a concussion. I kept falling asleep like narcolepsy the next day.

I hope insurance and everything else works out okay.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 9:54 am

Sorry to hear that Elle, but I glad you're okay.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 10:25 am

Holy shit. Glad you're all right, hope you get everything worked out with your car/insurance.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 10:43 am

Elle, if things w/ the insurance get ugly email me and I'll give you the name of a good lawyer :)
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 11:21 am

poor girl, i'm really sorry.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 11:47 am

i'm mildly scratched up in the face. the guy who hit me had more than 1 dui. i pretty much can thank my lucky stars that i was wearing my seatbelt cuz if i wasn't i would have gotten thrown harder. i don't know what the guy
's insurance will cover. i may need that name, windy.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 12:12 pm

holee crap!!!!
glad you're OK!!
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 12:14 pm

Shit Elle. I'm sorry. Glad you're okay.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 12:23 pm

Sorry to hear the news. Glad you're o.k.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 12:25 pm

Sorry to hear the news. Glad you're o.k.

The above comment was from me. Somebody forgot to sign out.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 12:26 pm

jerryd fucked up.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 12:29 pm

Elle - did you go to the hospital from the scene?
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 12:54 pm

elle glad you're ok
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 1:21 pm

LAWSUIT!
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 2:19 pm

This is fucked! Elle, so glad you're ok- also so glad you wearing your seatbelt. Fuck drunk drivers!!

Buckle up Goners, and wear your bike helmets too.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 2:32 pm

shit, sorry to hear that! lemme know if you need anything...
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 2:45 pm

I hope everything turns out okay for you with the insurance and all.
Glad you are alive!
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 3:13 pm

I got t-boned years ago on Thanksgiving Day. What I learned from this incident is a) get a lawyer, b) go to the doctor as often as possible for every inkling of an injury and keep going and racking up the bills, and c) take some time off work. Your settlement will be based on medical costs and lost wages. One phrase my lawyer kept repeating to me was "opportunity of suffering." Well, my opportunity got me 6 weeks in Ireland.

Hope everything turns out AOK.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 3:14 pm

i may need that name, windy.

May hell....the insurance company will jerk you around....get a reputable lawyer and don't say shit to the insurance company.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 3:38 pm

yea, some drunk teenager ran a red light and smashed into me last month totalling my van and fucked up my shoulder.
but the stupid jerk told the cops that I ran the red light, when it was him.
so the insurance is "investigating" (no tellin how long they can milk that).

but clearly, if he was drunk and hit me , whats to investigate??
AND HE WAS 17!!!!!
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 3:52 pm

i had a lot of witnesses that said what happened. i really didn't have to say much other than the guy hit me cuz it was obvious what happened. dude plowed into my lane and said he was drunk and blew something insanely high and said he was messing with his stereo when he hit me.

my neck seriously does hurt and my face looks like i got dragged across some concrete due to the airbag busting up in my grill. heh. (the best thing is that i can always tell people "you should see what the other bitch looks like...")
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 4:13 pm

When I first read the title of this thread I thought you were on your bike. You sound like you have whiplash. I heard that it starts to hurt worse the day after the fact. Get an x-ray and find out if your c-spine is alright. I smell a lawsuit, if the guy has anything...
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 4:28 pm

GLAD yer ok! Take Bo Diddley's advice and Hush Your Mouth though. Douchebags pull all kindsa stuff into court and any ramblings on this thread could be detrimental to yer case... seriously seen it happen before
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 4:34 pm

Take Bo Diddley's advice and Hush Your Mouth though.

and get some pills from a rock'n'roll nurse.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 4:54 pm

that's the gospel truth Bazooka...
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 5:11 pm

Wow, sounds like you seriously got lucky, Elle, that's great news. We had a 16 yr-old in our ER last week that had the same thing happen with a drunk, hit him dead on after falling asleep while going an estimated 85. On ice. The kid didn't make it in the doors before his heart stopped for the second time. As usual, the drunk had a broken wrist and that was it. Kid is still on life support but I don't think he'll ever make it and if he does he'll be a mess.

I love drinking and I love driving fast but when you kill somebody's kid doing them at the same time you're a fucking moron. Those guys never get anywhere near what they deserves.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 5:12 pm

I agree with the whiplash comments, too.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 6:06 pm

elle sorry to hear that.

i got hit head on once too - only i was at a red light and the driver was going slow - but he was drunk. luckily, it was 4th of july weekend and a copy witnessed it.

did you make a police report? get the other driver's info? the window of opportunity to verify his blood alcohol has passed...

but document everything, get names & numbers of witnesses, all the other driver's info. get a lawyer and don't talk to the other driver's insurance co, etc. work fast. there's a 1 year statute of limitations on personal injury.

if you haven't gone to the cops - go!
make sure you get photo evidence of your injuries and your car's damage.

let me know if i can help you too
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 6:09 pm

Holy crap, elle! Glad you made it out alive, though.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 6:30 pm

Oh elle, glad you're okay.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm | Edited by: Windy

i had a lot of witnesses that said what happened. i really didn't have to say much other than the guy hit me cuz it was obvious what happened. dude plowed into my lane and said he was drunk and blew something insanely high and said he was messing with his stereo when he hit me.

my neck seriously does hurt and my face looks like i got dragged across some concrete due to the airbag busting up in my grill. heh. (the best thing is that i can always tell people "you should see what the other bitch looks like...")

I didn't read the rest of what everyone else wrote, but if you haven't been to the hospital you need to go asap, or at least to the doctor (NOT CHIROPRACTOR).Whatever you think of chiropractors on a personal level, just ditch that thinking for the purposes of a lawsuit and see an MD.

You also need a copy of your accident report - you can get one for $15 at central records on the 10th floor of 201 in about 7 days. You need to document any school or work you miss from day 1 and you need to get in touch with all the witnesses you can asap. It may not be completely formal, but if you can get any witnesses to write a note and have it notarized, that would help.

The firm I worked for mostly handles more serious injury cases (broken bones) but there are others out there that handle yours.

Was your car drivable? either way you need photos of you, the car and the intersection of the accident (in similar conditions as the accident, i.e. at night, rainy weather etc) and keep taking pictures of yourself until you are completely healed.

Insurance companies are going to dick you around for sure. Whatever you offer you ask for double. If they make you an offer at all, they are almost always able to go higher. Also, most of the time they are trying to get out of having to pay future medical costs (for very serious injuries)

you have 1 year from the date of the accident to file a suit (assuming it happened in TN)
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 8:39 pm

my car isn't driveable. it's mangled. when the guy hit me, he swerved into my lane right into the front corner on the driver's side. it was at night right on mclean between poplar and madison going toward poplar.

i'm about to go to a doctor because my neck is hurting me pretty bad. my passenger has a pain in his chest from the seatbelt too. so we're both about to go up to the hospital.

i definitely need to take pictures of my face. it looks like i got dragged down some concrete. it's awful. it's from the airbag. ugh. :P
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 9:09 pm

I love drinking and I love driving fast but when you kill somebody's kid doing them at the same time you're a fucking moron. Those guys never get anywhere near what they deserves.

Great way to put it.

Elle, get to a doctor, many of them, soon and often. And get a lawyer ASAP.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 9:12 pm

elle, say no more. And do what has been said.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 9:13 pm

theresa, the guy got put in jail last night. he blew and admitted to being drunk. it wasn't his first dui either. so there's documentation. i got to get a police report tomorrow or whenever they have it available. i'm sure that they'll be calling me soon. i'm going to go to the old law firm i worked at tomorrow most likely. that or call corey b. trotz or some shit. heh.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 9:55 pm

hey elle, sorry about your face, kid. one day, you'll be drunk and hit somebody too.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 10:07 pm

one day, you'll be drunk and hit somebody too.

that's not funny. take it back.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 10:08 pm

ok i laughed, but still...
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 10:11 pm

listen, I attend the battlestar galactica school of justice, okay?
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 11:01 pm

Posted: Feb 25, 2007 11:31 pm

like this
goddam...
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 11:34 pm

How did your mug get like that, if you don't mind me asking? That looks like a bike accident.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 11:35 pm

I was the passenger in a car that got rear ended by some drunk old lady. Bitch hit us, then spun in front of us and took off. Ended up having to see a chiropractor on her insurance company's bill; that guy fucked me over worse than she did. Some total huckster who's eyes lit up the second I came in the room, he was charging me $1,000 a session just to crack my back. No shit. I didn't care cuz in the end I ended up getting $2000 out of it. Bought a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a new guitar. Holla!
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 11:35 pm

word
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 11:36 pm

Holla!
heeeeyyyy---oooooo
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 11:37 pm

Some total huckster

That's the definition of chiropractor. There's something a little off about a "doctor" that goes to college in a mini-mall.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 11:41 pm | Edited by: DevilDog

My chiropractor - who, BTW, was incredible at fixing my back after every roadtrip my hockey team made - just got indicted for banging a 13 yr-old client. So I guess I should say "former" chiropractor. Anyway, I guess you have to take it from behind from a chiropractor one way or another.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 11:46 pm

How did your mug get like that, if you don't mind me asking?
Airbag to the face! Not so fun.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 6:21 am

i dunno, alix, i may be able to give you a good run for the money in the busted up face category. i got nasty ass burn looking marks on the bottom right half of my face and neck thanks to my airbag. bluh.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 8:45 am

i dunno, alix, i may be able to give you a good run for the money in the busted up face category. i got nasty ass burn looking marks on the bottom right half of my face and neck thanks to my airbag. bluh.

You know we'll need pictures so we can compare.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 10:35 am

You sound like you have whiplash.

I can recommend a good chiropractor. do that instead of going to an MD, who will just get you hopped up on pills ... which maybe fun, but you eventually will have to stop taking them! Insurance also prefers chiroprators cuz they're far cheaper ...
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 10:37 am

Whatever you think of chiropractors on a personal level, just ditch that thinking for the purposes of a lawsuit and see an MD.

Do you mean cuz doctors are much more expensive and she'll be able to claim more in damages?
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 10:39 am

Ended up having to see a chiropractor on her insurance company's bill; that guy fucked me over worse than she did. Some total huckster who's eyes lit up the second I came in the room, he was charging me $1,000 a session just to crack my back.

That's hilarious. MOst chiros charge about $40 a session. That's what's retarded about our whole lawsuit/medical system, and why people can't afford insurance without working 60 hours a week for some asshole corporation.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 11:12 am

Whatever you think of chiropractors on a personal level, just ditch that thinking for the purposes of a lawsuit and see an MD.

Do you mean cuz doctors are much more expensive and she'll be able to claim more in damages?

the insurance companies don't take them as seriously
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 11:29 am

Insurance also prefers chiroprators cuz they're far cheaper ...

That's the funniest thing I've read in quite a while, thanks. Insurance companies actually prefer for people to get treated by REAL DOCTORS, not back-cracking know-nothings. Any "help" a chiropractor provides is psychosomatic. Your back/neck/WHATEVER might feel better temporarily, but only because you think that it should. The chiropractors will then insist you see them for life. Their "affordable" treatment soon turns into a nightmare of never-ending costs. That is the reason that insurance companies will eventually stop paying for chiropractic "care" associated with auto accident injuries - as they should.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 1:18 pm

Ouch...Sorry bout the airbag bangin ya...You should sue the fucks offa that faghole.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 2:20 pm

Wow, Elle. That's just awful. I'm glad you're ok and the asshole who hit you is in jail!
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 5:37 pm

elle - everything windy posted is right on, step by step.

go to a chiro if you want to - but the insurance co's want MD's reports.

one of my early law jobs was insurance defense for the fireman's fund. the insurance co's will do everything in their power to NOT pay you. get the best lawyer you can't afford. many will do on contingency - meaning they get 1/3 of the damages, which means they have incentive to get you the best settlment as their fee depends on it.

ask any questions you want. i hate that i know the insurance side, but i do, and if i can help... holla
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 6:25 pm

not back-cracking know-nothings. Any "help" a chiropractor provides is psychosomatic.
Right on. I have an irrational hatred of chiropractors...right up there with my two other big irrational hates. So, I guess a chiroproctor is in my top three of irrational hates.

Take pictures, see an MD, get a lawyer, don't talk to the insurance companies. And, I'm glad you're okay!
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 6:31 pm | Edited by: saispas

Got hit head on by FRIENDS who were stoned. They turned left in their Bronco into our Datsun B210, which was totaled. My head hit the windshield (no seatbelt) and my knee hit the glovebox so hard that it ripped open. I was all stunned and turned down the ambulance and we walked home. We only later drove ourselves to the hospital and I had to get 20 stitches. Then we were idiots and took the insurance companies first payout offer; this "friend" *was* loaded (as in wealthy) and her dad was a total prick, coming at me like, "Don't even TRY to sue..." when we weren't even considering it.

Anyway, sorry to hear about it. Elle. Are you feeling OK? Is the guy insured? Do you have an attorney?
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 6:38 pm

i got an attorney today and he told me not to talk to insurance companies and just to let him handle it. the police report probably won't be done til later this week. i've taken pictures of my face for evidence. i'm going tomorrow to take pictures of my car.

i went to the med yesterday. i've got some pain going on. don't know if the guy is insured. i was kind of hysterical after it happening because my face hurt so bad and all i wanted to do was go home. the lawyer is going to investigate more once the police report is written up and available.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 8:54 pm

jesus alix, wasn't that accident like a year ago?
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 9:14 pm

I have an irrational hatred of chiropractors...

Me too. Can you tell?
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 9:14 pm

In other news, I rear-ended a black kid today with diamond rocks in his ears and driving a circa 1998 red Mitsubishi Eclipse. I hit him going about 10 mph and there was ZERO damage and he hopped back in his car saying he was OK after getting my number. Dude calls my insurance company within the hour claiming bumper damage and "neck pain". Oh lawd.

He will get nothing. NOTHING.

It is assholes like this who make it harder on the people who really get hurt to claim. Good luck to you both.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 9:23 pm

t is assholes like this who make it harder on the people who really get hurt to claim.

It is assholes like this that made me hate my short-lived job as an insurance claims adjuster. I learned to hate chiropractors then too. Oh, and by the way, the company I worked for actually paid claims fairly, which I hear is quite different from the norm. Just sayin'.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 9:30 pm

I hope the guy he has to take it to for inspection laughs in his face. He is going to try to claim some 2" scrape (obviously made some other way at some other time) as my fault. Good luck, my friend, good luck. I was infuriated when I was told he was actually saying his neck hurt. Fucking piece of shit. I would have fully owned up had anything actually happened to the guy, but I let the insurance co know the deal.

Can inspectors really tell when some guy is trying to lie?
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 9:32 pm

He is going to try to claim some 2" scrape (obviously made some other way at some other time) as my fault.

If the dude has no scruples, he and a bunch of his friends could rear-end his car for real, and he may try to fake a neck injury. Desperate people do underhanded shit like that...
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 9:38 pm

I just saw this thread. Sorry, Elle! I hope you recover quickly and sue the pants off that putz. My friend's brother just got busted for his 5th DUI and he got less than a month in jail. I think you pretty much have to kill somebody before you get any real punishment for that offense anymore. Hopefully, you can get your revenge by soaking that guy big-time.

I have an irrational hatred of chiropractors...right up there with my two other big irrational hates.
Let me guess the other 2 hates- Jews and unwaxed dental floss?
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 9:39 pm

I will fight tooth and nail. I should have taken a picture with my cell of his zero damage. My vehicle has no damage and even though I have a small truck, it hit bumper to bumper. Let him fake that shit--he's an easy mark to catch faking. Whatever, I have to trust the insurance companies to be prepared for his kind.
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 1:24 am

i got an attorney today and he told me not to talk to insurance companies and just to let him handle it. the police report probably won't be done til later this week. i've taken pictures of my face for evidence. i'm going tomorrow to take pictures of my car.

i went to the med yesterday. i've got some pain going on. don't know if the guy is insured. i was kind of hysterical after it happening because my face hurt so bad and all i wanted to do was go home. the lawyer is going to investigate more once the police report is written up and available.

that was me that posted that. alix forgot to logout and i forgot to log in. sorry bout that.
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 1:58 am

TK or someone who knows laws: i got hit by a guy who was driving a customer car for a big name repair shop a few months ago. im sick of waiting for insurance companies to decide who should pay me, even though the police report clearly shows the other fucker at fault. 64wildcat at gmail.com
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 4:21 am

junior - it sounds like the big name repair shop SHOULD be the one paying you - they are also probably dragging their ass paying their customer who's car was involved.

who's insurance company has called you, if any?

what has your insurance company told you?
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 6:49 am

junior - Michigan is a no fault state, so you always go back to your own company for damage to your vehicle, and to "damage" to your body. There are some exceptions, but they involve "threshold injuries" and parked cars. Unless you were seriously hurt (broken bones, etc.), you probably don't have a threshold injury. Email me off the board if you want more info - just give me the details. I used to handle those claims all the time - I know all of the things you are legally entitled to - from your own insurance company.

markmillionaire@gmail.com
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 8:02 am

Let me guess the other 2 hates- Jews and unwaxed dental floss?
I love Jews, but hate Catholicism.
Also, midgets. (But this may really be an irrational fear instead of an irrational hate.)

Good luck, elle. You did the right thing by going to the lawyer. Hope you feel better soon.
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 11:32 am

In other news, I rear-ended a black kid today with diamond rocks in his ears and driving a circa 1998 red Mitsubishi Eclipse. I hit him going about 10 mph and there was ZERO damage and he hopped back in his car saying he was OK after getting my number. Dude calls my insurance company within the hour claiming bumper damage and "neck pain". Oh lawd.

He will get nothing. NOTHING.

It is assholes like this who make it harder on the people who really get hurt to claim. Good luck to you both.

These are not as simple as you may think. Yes, plenty of people take advantage and think this is their shot at free money. However, soft tissue neck/back/shoulder damage doesn't always show up immediately. I myself was hit from behind with no property damage and was very stiff for several days 9 nine years ago. It happens. Also, the other thing people fail to consider is what is known as the "eggshell crush" or "eggshell skull" rule (from Humpty Dumpty) which basically means that you take a plaintiff as you find him. If this guy is particularly prone to neck damage b/c of heredity or past accident, well tough. Now in reality this is not always how things work out, but that is the legal theory ungirding these claims. Also, your insurance will jack you because you had an accident that was reported to them, so your probable financial loss has already been incurred. If he sues you, who fucking cares, the insurance company has a duty to defend the suit and that is a long way away and the great majority of these settle out. Also, a side of the road inspection is not the same thing as taking a close look at something. Doesn't sound likely that there is any to much damage, but I have certainly heard of stranger. Also, if this happened in FLA, I thought FLA was a no-fault PIP benfeits state, and if so I think he should be looking to his insurance co, anyway.)
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 11:59 am

I thought FLA was a no-fault PIP benfeits state

It is, and the PIP limit is something like $25,000. Too bad it didn't happen in Michigan - the only state that has no $$ limit for PIP benefits.
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Hope ya get better Elle!

SUE!SUE!SUE!
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 2:36 pm

Hey elle nice to hear you're ok..and alive for shits sake...!! take care of ya' self!!
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 7:26 pm

Buckle up Goners, and wear your bike helmets too.

No kidding. I wear a helmet ever since a hit and run driver nailed me a month ago and I needed staples in the back of my head after smacking it on the street. I mostly got off lucky though, in terms of injuries.

the guy who hit me had more than 1 dui

They shouldn't let that guy ever drive again. I know some Goners have had DUIs, and I myself once moved a car a few blocks when I was drunk (people had seen us load two vintage Twin Reverb amps into the trunk right in front of the bar & we were gonna leave them there ovenright), but motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death among the age group most Goners fall under. It should be recognized that cars are heavy machinery. I'm glad you're OK Elle.
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 9:33 pm

It is, and the PIP limit is something like $25,000. Too bad it didn't happen in Michigan -

What does this mean?

I seriously don't think the guy is really in pain esp. since he was "totally fine" and within 15 minutes was on the phone with GEICO saying he had "neck soreness". I doubt he will press that part; too much effort on his part and too much lying to be done. And whatever, if the inspector sees I actually did damge his bumper, I'll be back to my striked record. I have had a clean record for almost 10 years. Oh well! Could have been worse, you know?
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 7:56 am

What does this mean?

Currently Florida is a no fault state (though I believe they are repealing the law), like Michigan. That means this guy you hit must seek payment for his medical expenses from his own insurance company. Florida does have a maximum though, which is not very high. I guessed $25K, but google tells me otherwise.
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 9:47 am

This happened to me too on Saturday. No fun.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®