Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Three Six Mafia on the Oscars!
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 10:18 pm

GHETTO SHIT!
doin it's hard out herre for a pimp!
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 10:22 pm

THEY WON!
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 10:23 pm

HELLLLL YEEEAH!
thats the SHIT!
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 10:25 pm

was memphis' project motion in charge of the backup dancers????
that wuz some crazy interpretive pimp/ho dance...
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 10:27 pm

REPRESENT!!!

The last thing they said walking off the stage was "MEMPHIS TENNESSEE!"

Woah. Whoa!!!
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 10:36 pm

that kicked ass.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 10:55 pm

Posted: Mar 5, 2006 10:55 pm

Crunchy Black,
Frayser Boy,
DJ Paul,
Juicy J,
I LOVE YOU!!!
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 10:56 pm

they didnt 'thank' Brewer
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 10:59 pm

or Bomar
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 11:07 pm

Triflin'.

Werd.

THREE SIX, OH SHEE-AT, NIGGA WHUT

I posted some hot Three Six videos on my blog:

http://steveallstar.livejournal.com
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 11:16 pm

A Memphis radio DJ believes he may have been the intended target of a recent shooting, after receiving threats from Three 6 Mafia's Crunchy Black.

Memphis' Fox 13 recently reported that on January 24 gunshots were fired at the Flinn Broadcasting sales office, home of Memphis radio station HOT 107. At least 15 bullets pierced the walls of the office, leaving some serious damage to the station, including a transmission line that will need repairs. Fortunately no one was injured in that shooting.

According to a police report, D.J. 'Lil' Larry' Armstrong, stated that he'd received death threats from Black after a nightclub concert by rapper Project Pat last weekend. Armstrong said Black accused him of disrupting the event. He says he also received threatening cell phone calls from Black.

Armstrong was in an adjoining studio when the shots were fired.

In related news, ex-Three 6 Mafia member Koopsta Knicca also has beef with the group. The Memphis MC says DJ Paul and Juicy J are having him blackballed by local radio stations.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 11:17 pm

Koopsta Knicca has been milking his "feud" with Three-6 for a few years now. nobody cay-ruhs...
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 11:17 pm

Mo' triflin'. You need to come correct.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 11:18 pm

An' a straight.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 11:21 pm

Koopsta Knicca has been milking his "feud"

jealousy is a motherfucker
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 11:37 pm

channel 7 news just had the best lead-in: A man dies in police custody, another man is murdered for five dollars, and a Memphis rap group just won an Academy Award!

just another day in the 'hood, ya'll
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 11:38 pm

AHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Andria, I just realized that I forgot they were doing the Oscar thing at the IMAX. Shit must've blown up in there.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 11:52 pm

The newscasters here are looking into the cameras, saying "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp". This is priceless.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:08 am

on channel 7, they kept saying "it's hard out THERE for a pimp." guess it's easy to do it inside the ABC affiliate station!

yep the Pink Palace must've been nuts. but I bet those folks were more excited about WTL than H&F.

I talked to Craig last week, did a story about the Oscars for the business journal. he is loving life right about now!
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:11 am

Yeah, but now Channel 3 morning show is gonna have to say it.

awesome, a.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:28 am

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYYA!

Trader Joes' Almond flavored champagne (my best friend is a fucking loon who can't read labels) and an Oscar for my boys Three Six will make a girl crazy.

Thank god I am gettting a massage tomorrow. I feel some more partying coming on for tonight.

Good night Memphis. I lurve ya.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:28 am

no one cared a few days ago

darn.
i feel for ya
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 2:07 am

YES it has been youtubed:
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 8:15 am

Can't wait for *Weird Al to do "It's Hard Out Hear for a Gimp"!

*Weird Al, you can send royalties directly to my pay-pal account
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 8:17 am | Edited by: The Driver

"That's how you accept an Oscar"
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:48 am

WHOAH!

they were great, but the burning car onstage for the Crash song was fantastic.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 11:05 am

The Solid Gold dancers on all the performances were KILLIN' me. I just wanted to swipe them out of the way on the Three Six one. The guy playing DJay interpretively I swear was Morris Day.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 11:08 am

And as far as thanking Bomar and Brewer, that coulda been somewhere in all that superexcited hooha they were screaming. I know that almond champagne had me a little messed up, but I could barely understand a thing.
I doubt they thought they'd be anywhere near winning, likely had no plans for a speech and I doubt Bomar or Brewer are losing sleep over not getting thanked.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 11:33 am

Oscars don't mean shit.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 11:33 am

Never did.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 11:43 am

no one cared a few days ago

I don't think that is true (i've been busy), I just don't think anyone thought they would really win. They didn't think they were going to win. Hell, I voted for Dolly (I am such a traitor). In a post oscar interview they said they forgot so many people because they had nothing prepared and were headed back to the dressing room because they didn't expect to win.

Oscars don't mean shit.

Maybe, but I bet so many black people have never watched before. And I think it does matter to Memphis. TN represented last night. There was a spot light on us as being a place of unique ceativity and talent. Finally some major recognition. It will pave the way for more people to be sucessful and taken more seriously in the future, and as John Stewart remarked probably a little less hard out there for a pimp.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 11:55 am

Finally some major recognition

Yeah, no one ever associates Memphis with music. Finally!
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:01 pm

Maybe, but I bet so many black people have never watched before. And I think it does matter to Memphis. TN represented last night. There was a spot light on us as being a place of unique ceativity and talent.

It was more than just the music. And Three Six? None of those people there, with the exception of a few, knew who the fuck they were. As much as I hate Reese W, she is part of Tennessee (but her "Aw shucks! I'm jes a lil ol Tennessee girl is such bullshit). Walk the Line was made in MEM. Hustle & Flow. For once, even if the Oscars are just an excuse to eat brie, olives and drink champagne, Memphis was part of NOW, not just recognized for THEN.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:04 pm

Y'know? Three points about the performance that I haven't seen brought up yet:
1. I distinctly remember 2 points (ona at the begining of the performance, the other near the beginning of the acceptance) where they got edited.
2. I don't think the chick "nailed it"; close, but didn't "nail it".
3. "Whole buncha witches jumpin' ship" (I believe this has been mentioned over in the Memphis section last week, but not brought up here).

Thoughts?

I am so proud of them Memphis men, though. I was so giddy for them last night, I really contemplated wanting a grill.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:09 pm

OK, maybe not "nailed it", but I have been watching American Idol and on those standards, she "nailed it". Plus she is so damn cute.

Oh yes, we heard the editing, but were too excited to speak.

"Witches jumpin' ship" has been the new phrase throughout the house!!!!

Also, I was getting busted all over the place for the Crash-esque racism last night. When Jamie Foxx came out and started all his "Awww yeahhhhh, Ah'll be seein you Three Six at tha after party, mane" shit. I shrieked out, "Aw now you're Cuba Gooding! Now you're Will Smith! That's what happens to all of 'THEM'!" Everyone in the house had some dropped jaws and said, "'THEM'???????"
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:12 pm

No to be an ass, but thanking Brewer... yes for asking them to be a part of the music, but why would they thank Bomar?? He didnt have anything to do with that song or the 666 Mafia??? Help!
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:16 pm

nailed it
I really didn't care, either. Some dude in a marching outfit with a big bass drum could have walked across the stage, and I wouldn't have cared.

we heard the editing
Just wanted to be sure I wasn't the only one

Witches jumpin' ship
Been in my head all morning.

"'THEM'???????"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:22 pm

Agreed re: thanking Bomar. Tons of people don't get thanked because people are off thanking their granny in heaven and stuff. No big deal.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:26 pm

You know, "them"! Those black actors of today! Terrence Howard and Don Cheadle are the only ones I'd not expect to see that chicanery from. Fuck all that fake-as-hell shuck and jive BS. I do love freaking out the Portlanders. Though they laughed ...after telling me I obviously needed to go watch Crash. This coming from one person who grew up in Kingston, TN and another from Placerville, CA.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:33 pm

The only person who was edited was the singer, the 3 6 dudes said shit a bunch of times unedited.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:35 pm

107.1 has dubbed March 6 official 3-6 mafia day.

and they said it was rumored Will Smith and Denzel were siding with Wendy on the whole makin' black people look bad thing. The radio people were completely doggin' them for doing movies like Bad Boys then dissing on 3-6.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:35 pm

That editor was probably losing his mind, not being able to understand a damn thing.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:38 pm

i think there are a few other black actors that might not do that fiery,
here's the short list

Ving Rhames
Denzel Washington
Morgan Freeman

too early, just got up. . . there's lots and lots more somebody else fill in the blanks of my mind.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:38 pm

Oh Denzel. How far you have fallen. Training Day, anyone? That was a great performance, but he was a black and crooked bastard--pretty sterotypical view of an LA black cop. And ,well, Will Smith is a fucking idiot. Did you see his ethnic "Ching Chong me Asian!" mugging on stage when he was announcing best foreign movie? Please.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:39 pm

I guess I was just thinking of the ones right off the top of my head from that age group. I hear you on Morgan and Ving. Denzel is an asshole.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:58 pm

I can't believe you're hatin' on Denzel.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 1:06 pm

Let's just say...I have "heard things".
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 1:23 pm

Let's just say...I have "heard things".
Is he an asshole, or something? Because if so, no, no, no, now you got to go into the artist outside life cannot be separated from his/her work?
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 1:25 pm

I LOVE Samuel L! sorry he got ghettoized by having to introduce one of those stupid montages...

I think Three 6 should HOST the Oscars next year!!!
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 1:29 pm

looks like the Three Six can move on up to the east side!

Germantown!...bet they gots stax of loot now
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 1:30 pm

G-town ain't shit no more.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 1:42 pm

they have sold alot of records, they were already rich.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 2:05 pm

I'll of course separate Denzel from his work; I loved him in Training Day! There are some people I just CANNOT separate anymore or never could. Tom Cruise, Reese Witherspoon. Rusell Crowe...name 'em. Denzel is just a known prick. I am friends/married to some movie people" so I get to hear lotsa juicy stuff.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 2:07 pm

they have sold alot of records, they were already rich.

it was an obvious joke
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 2:46 pm

Ghettoized...lets not talk about Ghettoized now!! This whole Hustle and Flow shit is the epitomy of Ghettoized!! Has Singleton paid up yet...anybody still waitin on a check?? Al Kapone Platinum yet??
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 3:05 pm

Oh yeah, and I cant fucking stand Will Smith either...god damnt hes a buster!!
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 3:09 pm

That "comedy" routine he was pulling last night was just awful. Jada Pinkett Smith and her "metal" band...anyone heard it?
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 3:12 pm

That "comedy" routine
However, that thing Lilly Tomlin and Meryl Streep riff-off was pretty weird/intense/neat-o
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 3:26 pm

Cute photo in the NY Times Oscar fashion slideshow of Three Six flashin their grills with Project Pat hanging in the background. Just go to the the nytimes.com and click on the Fashion part of the Oscar section on the mid-right and then do the slideshow.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 3:27 pm

I liked the Lily and Meryl thing too. The boys at the house hated it.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 4:41 pm

The online content of the NYT's Oscar coverage is slightly different than the print edition, which is a shame, because the print version had a pretty funny quote from the Three 6 Mafia guys explaing exactly what a "grill" was.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 4:52 pm

Posted: Mar 6, 2006 5:51 pm

whoa, Oprah and Gayle are talking about Three 6 right now! everyone is excited for them!!! Jon Stewart said it was his fave moment of the entire ceremony!
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 6:09 pm

am i the only one who thinks denzel is a total idiot (and i mean also as an actor)? i really can't take him serious. and it's especially funny because he's ALWAYS the serious/hardass in the movies and he's just being retarded all time. just as stupid as tom cruise but at least that one don't get an oscar for that bullshit.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 9:32 pm

I said it earlier. I do like Training day--but he's a dick. And yeah, in that Cruisesque way.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 9:36 pm

because the print version had a pretty funny quote from the Three 6 Mafia guys explaing exactly what a "grill" was.
You should have heard them talking about this on the Today show. "Welluh, I didn't know you could have DIAMONDS in your BRACES." For reals.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 9:41 pm

I loved him in Training Day
he's a dick.

and who's cruisesque now??
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 9:44 pm

What the hell is going on?
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 9:47 pm

fwball missed the point fierydrunk is a girl.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 9:58 pm

I still don't get it. But who cares?

I am digging on the "Diamonds in the braces" comment. Andria, what were Oprah and Gayle saying?
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:22 pm

they were saying how cute it was that they were so excited. and then they showed footage of the boys backstage but Will Smith was doing all the talking. and then Oprah was saying how MLK would be proud, but how funny that it's a pimp song that won another Oscar for the dark race. and I thought it was sweet, but I kept shouting at the screen, "c'mon, Isaac Hayes won it for Shaft, and that song wasn't all sweet and innocent either!"

no one heard me.

exclusive interviews with Three 6 and Craig on Fox 13 news at 10.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:28 pm

From the Oprah message board: I had a problem with people winning these awards and not thanking the Almighty. They got up there and thanked everyone, but God. The only winners that thanked God was Three Six Mafia, when one of the guys said, "Thank you Jesus". I was very surprised they won anything. Being a rap group and Black at that. Do people not know who is REALLY responsible for their success!
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:28 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCK??!?!?!?!
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:33 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Joe--for reals, you speak to a black person who isn't a total dickhead/thug asshole (and even then, they may as well) in Memphis/the South, they will glorify the Lord AT EVERY TURN. It isn't the least bit weird or unusual.

I got cold busted for asking at work (I was the onlt white person in my crew) why every athlete always was "god this, god that" and I GOT TOLD.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:39 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

It just doesn't stop:

Juicy J just told Extra that he was "gonna go get a mouth full for this little guy (the Oscar) right 'chere."
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:54 pm

By the queen Cintra Wilson (read today's Salon article by here--xlnt per usual):

I think Hollywood is tacitly endorsing a Good Behavior code that I find frightening. Sure, the entertainment industrial complex recognizes minorities and good causes and champions them -- but it also disallowed the winning song, "It's Hard Out There for a Pimp," from using the word "bitches" in the broadcast. I mean, really. The word "bitch" has been commonplace on prime-time TV since ... when ... "Dynasty"? At the latest?
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 1:14 pm

from the NY Daily News:

Elsewhere at the Vanity Fair party, worlds collided when novelist Salman Rushdie hung out with Three 6 Mafia, who won gold for "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp." "That's the song I was really rooting for," said Rushdie. "I really liked 'Hustle and Flow.'"

Rapper Juicy Jay was not as familiar with Rushdie's "Satanic Verses," but he did like the poetry of Rushdie's wife, Padma Lakshmi, as the model and actress shook to the music on top of an ottoman. "Oooh," said Juicy.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 1:40 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

they were great, but the burning car onstage for the Crash song was fantastic.

I was blown away by that too. I had to confer with my girlfriend to make sure I was not hallucinating.

G-town was never as affluent as it's rep. Most people there live in crappy tract homes, not 20 acre estates with horse stables. It's mostly middle class folks that didn't want to stay in Whitehaven as it became anything but a white haven.
Posted: Jul 28, 2020 9:04 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®