Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Upcoming Shows For Goners Everywhere / the Little Bitches are playing in Biloxi
rike mushing
Posted: Jul 21, 2004 5:48 pm

Tuff Luvs are playing somewhere in Biloxi next monday
Joe Pestilence
Posted: Jul 21, 2004 7:10 pm

With whom and where? Are you opening for a local death metal cover band at the Jaycee Hut?
rike mushing
Posted: Jul 22, 2004 2:15 am

i'm not sure on the place yet and i hope its not a death metal band, but she said we're playing with the conversation.....
authentic metal face
Posted: Jul 22, 2004 1:27 pm

is Little House Lee's little sister setting this up? she started doing shows again at various venues, but haven't heard of any Biloxi places. I believe she's been doing mostly G-port show.
rike mushing
Posted: Jul 22, 2004 7:27 pm

her name is molly thats all i know.....never met her.
Joe Pestilence
Posted: Jul 22, 2004 7:46 pm

Quit making me homesick you guys! *sniff*

I wonder if the kids there have discovered "Garage"yet via White Hives,etc.?

authentic metal face
Posted: Jul 22, 2004 9:56 pm

yes, molly is Little House Lee's sister. she's been setting up alot of shows lately. post more info when ya know. Joe.......i am not aware of there being anymore people that are into good music via the hives down heyah, but i guess anything is possible. the shows surely haven't gotten anymore populated.
rike mushing
Posted: Jul 23, 2004 2:34 am

so do people on the coast come out for punk rock'n shows or are we gonna drive down there on a monday and be let down?
rike mushing
Posted: Jul 23, 2004 4:34 pm

well, fuck it, she canceled on us ......said she had another band that was expensive and couldn't afford us..........all we charge is a hot dog and a hand job (i would think thats affordable).
authentic metal face
Posted: Jul 23, 2004 4:52 pm

doooode, you were wasting your time anyway. Monday night on the coast? unless your David Allen Coe or Kenny Wayne Shepard, it would have been a bust. i would not play around them parts unless it was a weekend. who the hell is she paying to play biloxi on a monday?
rike mushing
Posted: Jul 24, 2004 2:09 am

i have no idea, but thanx for the tip....i just thought it would be refreshing to play somewheres besides Martins.
burrito
Posted: Jul 27, 2004 8:11 pm

molly ain't lee's little sister. she runs the paper heart productions. lee's littel sis is lyndsey and does food not bombs benefits and things of the sort. thats besides the point. biloxi is ok on a monday as long as you don't mind getting free beer instead fo money. because i promise you most people will be out karaoking on a monday. i'm guessing the show will be at the downtown tavern, formerly known as hawgs tavern where one of america's most wanted was captured. its a true shit hole. shows i have been to there have always had good turnouts. so it may be well worth it.
if the metal heads do show up ask to see mike rouge's nutsack. i swear it is the size of a large cantelope and he is not shy about showing it.
burrito
Posted: Jul 27, 2004 8:17 pm

ok. sit down and brace yourselves guys.. ya'll got cancelled for a band named "two turds in a bucket." they are described as sounding like elliot smith. its a sad fucking day for rocking roll.
heres a thread to another message board.
http://www.gulfcoastpunk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1902&sid=e94e65bec48282e2cf457a210f306c3b
ps.. joe if you read through this message board that is predominantly biloxi and gulfport people you will no longer feel homesick. i swear to god, someone actually reviews the new 'tears for fears.' its just fucking a sick world i tell ya.
Joe Pestilence
Posted: Jul 27, 2004 11:34 pm

Well OF COURSE they're gonna review the new Tears For Fears on a Biloxi/Gulfport "punk" message board! I think that's hilarious! That is so typical of that area-the fact that it's uniquely bad is what makes me faux-homesick!

After being out here on the Left Coast and having run across soooooo many self styled "experts",the dull eyed,non-ironic innocence of thinking the new Tears For Fears is legitimate base for discussion as punk is almost like a breath of fresh air...almost.

Sounds like par for the course to me. It's exactly the same as it was when i was growing up there: 2 maybe 3 people that know what's going on,20 people to act like they know and completely getting it wrong! In Squareattle they'd talk up TFF and fall back on the Joke Defense 'cuz "ain't it soooo funny because it's so bad? But rilly though,it,like,sooo rocks too!" At least those kids ain't frontin'!

Of course,i did leave for a reason...

authentic metal face
Posted: Jul 28, 2004 3:38 pm

molly, lyndsay whatever oops. Dean have you seen that terrible coast band clubdecease? one of those guys probably reviewed the tear for fears. they played w/ us and insisted on playing first. they had so much fucking bullshit equipment it took them 3 hours to set up, play, and tear down. go check out their website it's hillarious.
authentic metal face
Posted: Jul 28, 2004 3:41 pm

i don't know him but...Mike's huge nuttsack was my friendster picture for a while.
Joe Pestilence
Posted: Jul 28, 2004 5:32 pm

Just to clarify: "Those kids"= Coast Kids.
Gotta clarify my bad english (but not Bad English,which i'm sure some Gpt kid thought was "punk" in the late 80s/Early 90s).

So scottpanther,i'm sure you played down heah-what's your take on this Biloxi business? South Mississppi's Funny,North Mississippi Rocks!

Joe Pestilence
Posted: Jul 28, 2004 5:32 pm

Just to clarify: "Those kids"= Coast Kids.
Gotta clarify my bad english (but not Bad English,which i'm sure some Gpt kid thought was "punk" in the late 80s/Early 90s).

So scottpanther,i'm sure you played down heah-what's your take on this Biloxi business? South Mississppi's Funny,North Mississippi Rocks!

Joe Pestilence
Posted: Jul 28, 2004 5:33 pm

Yup,posting error...You Always Post Twice!
rike mushing
Posted: Jul 28, 2004 9:53 pm

hey, d'y'all hear about that Overnight Lows with Toys That Kill @ Sluggo's Aug. 6?
Joe Pestilence
Posted: Jul 29, 2004 10:02 pm

SLUGGO'S! is Maggot Sandwich playing too or did he really break up?

Atomic Jefferson played a show in P-Cola w/ i do beleive The Cooters Chickasaw Chaos Ensemble (or whatever they were called back then) at The Handlebar the same day a hurricane was coming through town. Darren the drummer was drinking outside w/ the rest of us when 5-0 showed up! We mdae it in first and he got popped with a Public Drunk/Open Container charge and got sent to jail! We waited 3 hours or so for him to get bail and get out and we played to nobody.Oh,and we missed the Hurricane too by a couple of hours.

Joe Pestilence
Posted: Jul 29, 2004 10:04 pm

Scott? Scotts?
burrito
Posted: Jul 30, 2004 4:43 am

i hear sluggos is opening back up and woodenhorse is sposed to play opening night. maybe it already happened. don't really know. mobile home alabama is a black hole.
what was that other band? dead marines?
low risk dose
Posted: Aug 2, 2004 4:49 pm

sluggos? wow! joe, i was in a band w/ darren from atomic jefferson for several yrs. in the late 90's and early 00's and every time i would suggest playin a show in pensacola he would tell that story about getting arrested for drinking beer and he would absolutely refuse to play a show in pensacola because of that. as for north mississippi vs. south mississippi i guess you're mostly right, although i would probably, instead of just breaking the state in half, split it up into several scenes. north to south: oxford, jackson, hattiesburg and the coast. oxford is probably the best w/ a history of killer bands like neck bones and cooters and on and on, and probably benefits from being a college town and also being close to memphis, but of course oxford like anywhere has also always produced its fair share of lame hippie bands. i won't name any names. jackson has the advantage of being the largest city in the state and has not only history of fine bands back in the day--heck,darn, MNI, rigid digits, grey nothingness and others, but has also been blessed in recent years with great bands like the overnight lows. hattiesburg has always had some kind of cool scene goin as far back as i can remember. in the 80's it was stooert and duffy and ethnic lizards and skoal kanz and baptist creatures and so many others and in the 90's there was atomic jefferson, evel kow, hood crowd, rona crump, horsewreck and i could go on and on and fill page after page w/ all the bands and a lot of them were really killer punk bands and sure just like oxford or most anywhere else some lame hippie bands and some good metal bands and some real dumb awful metal bands and hattiesburg has a thriving scene even to this day w/ bands like the lunattics, an end to october, this orange four and too many to list here now. moving on to the coast, there of course has been thriving scene there quite sometime- back in the 90's there was the little house scene and and there's a lot happening all over the coast now although there's maybe too many bands that seem to be trying to sound like a cross between fugazi and built to spill or post emo ska metal or something. and something i completely left out of this mississippi discussion is the really small scenes like starkville or those never say die punk kids in cleveland mississippi. so anyway, i guess for my money most the best punk rock or just rock bands in mississippi are usually in oxford or hattiesburg or jackson,still there's usually something halfway decent going on in other parts of the state as well.
low risk dose
Posted: Aug 2, 2004 6:04 pm

oh yeah, and about playin shows down on the coast, we've only played there once before, in gulfport like in 97 or something and it was okay, i guess, and we're gonna be playing down in ocean springs on friday the 13th of august(my first gig ever in jackson county!!) so we'll have to play some tears for fears covers that night so they'll know just how punk we are!!
Joe Pestilence
Posted: Aug 2, 2004 8:54 pm

Headless Marines! I'd rather see an HxMx reunion than a Woodenhorse one,but in any case the last time i saw Skot Cowsill,er,Cowgill was in SF doin' a DJ gig at The Hemlock! Did he move back to PCola or is this a one time thing?

Lrd,What band were you in w/ Darren Myers in da 90s? And how could you not mention Before I Hang,keepin' it real Confederacy Of Scum-like since 1991?

If Maggot Sandwich were around today they'd be considered a "Garage Punk" band! I know Vik Kaos wanted to be Crossover Metalcore in later years but he just can't write songs in that style! All the NOLA punka movers n' shakers in the 80s hated the Sandwich 'cuz they weren't metal enough... which naturally meant that we liked 'em even more for that reason!

Let's see... Neckbones vs. Winterset. Advantage: Normiss,but Forrest is from Gulfport so all y'all should be proud!

low risk dose
Posted: Aug 2, 2004 11:45 pm

right after that last post i thought to myself how could i have listed all these hattiesburg bands and not said anything about the great [b]before i hang[b/],and the less known b.i.h. splinter group [b]the vaydamen[b/]. the band i was in with darren meyers in late 90's early 00's was called [b]the roganauts[b/] and it was a reborn version of the band we called [b]rong[b/]in the early 90's. the late 90's [b]roganauts[b/] version of this band also featured jay muller on guitar and it was mostly a garage cover band mostly stooges, sonics, count 5, dead boys, damned, and a bunch of original songs. i have two different album length discs of recordings by this band and unfortunately both discs are just the covers and i fear that the original songs are lost forever
low risk dose
Posted: Aug 3, 2004 12:41 am

i think i had a problem w/ my ubb
D PIG
Posted: Aug 6, 2004 3:06 pm

LRD, Before I Hang played a show at the Handlebar in PCola one night right after a Hurricane came through. If I'm not mistaken Rob got in some trouble on the street for having a beer outside. Darren had already warned everyone. We got all our equipment stolen that night at a steak and egg only four blocks or so from the bar. Moral: listen to Darren don't drink on the street in PCola, and never carry your equipment in an open bed pickup.
D PIG
Posted: Aug 6, 2004 3:10 pm

Um... I guess that last bit shoulda been referenced to Joe and his story, my reading skills ain't what they used to be.
Rob
Posted: Aug 8, 2004 6:31 pm

Actually, Darren did in fact go to jail in Pensacola. I had to wait, a long time to get him out of there. Hurricane was on our asses on the way out. I drank too much that night, and if memory serves me correctly I played way too loud also.
Joe Pestilence
Posted: Aug 8, 2004 9:16 pm

HOLY FUCK! ROB CROWELL??? HOLY FUCK!!!!!!
Rob
Posted: Aug 9, 2004 6:04 am

Hey Joe! It's been about forever, where are you these days?
low risk dose
Posted: Aug 10, 2004 2:38 am

hey rob, spanther here. what rock are you doing now?
Rob
Posted: Aug 10, 2004 11:40 pm

Hey Spanther! EddiBo and Melody live next door and we've been working on a cd for about two years or so. Just writing and playing, it's been the funnest to record but don't think I could describe it right now.
Are you in H'burg? What's going on there?
Joe Pestilence
Posted: Aug 11, 2004 7:54 pm

Hay Rob n' LEEE-ON! I'm in Seattle right now,but i'm getting restless. In the late 90s i lived in Portland and played in The Silver Kings (i guess you'd say we were 90s 60s Garage Punk) and will eventually record an album (we did two 7"ers and some comp trax).

I moved to Seattle a couple of years ago and wound up playing keyboards with notorious punkers the Spits,doing 4 tours (including one w/Rocket From The Crypt) and got the boot a couple of months ago when we finally got on each others nerves! I met a lotta great folks from those tours,and i post on here to stay in touch with 'em and my old friends like Loomis and Scrogers too!

Living in Seattle and working in a bar w/ music has left a sour taste in my mouth for Rock n'Roll,but it just re-affirms my belief that the ONLY good music goin' on right now is on this board (and sold at eric's store but also available thru the "Stuff For Sale" part o' this thing),and it's good to see you guys finally find it!

But there's more to this Board than this thread-go out and infect the whole damn thing with all y'all's isolation-bred surrealism RIGHT NOW! It so EZ... :)

I gotta go to work,but stay in touch n'shit...Take Care!

Rob
Posted: Aug 12, 2004 5:39 pm

Joe, sounds interesting! I may be flying in to Seattle soon to see my Aunts new house and I'll buy you a beer if we can hook up! Scott you can go here to hear the first song we recorded by clicken at http://home.earthlink.net/~atomicjefferson/
Leon, whas happennin? We should hook up and do show here in Birmingham!
dr1000
Posted: Aug 12, 2004 6:15 pm

I feel for ya, living in Seattle, if this god-awful free Sub Pop CD ("Patient Zero") I was handed is any indication. shitty, thru and thru. The BEST song on it is that whiny piece of shit by "The Shins" (whose name is a fair indicator that all good band names are taken (except "Hotcakes') and the Apocalypse is soon to come.)
Joe Pestilence
Posted: Aug 16, 2004 3:29 am

It's not the shitty Indie Rock that bums me out as much as the lack of support for the many great bands that are up here!

The Laundromat's closing,so i gotta finishup this rant tomorra...stay tuned!

Joe Pestilence
Posted: Aug 16, 2004 8:59 pm

OK,i'm back. I guess what i'm trying to say is that there's some great local bands that i see at work and when i go out that should be getting their well-earned due but wind up playing to their co-workers and boy/girlfriends way too often.

I've even seen it get worse since i moved here-folks that used to go to shows have pretty much stopped unless it's their absolute best friend's bands,and even then that's only half the time! It's really perplexing to me how it happened w/out noticing the shift,now it's completely different.

I think the biggest factor is that there hasn't been any new groups of people w/ good taste moving here en masse in quite a while.
The Spits were part of a crew that moved out here from (mostly) Kalamazoo,and roughly the same time another posse of humans moved here from Phoenix. That was a looong time ago,and i haven't seen a mass migration of Rockarolla HomoSuperiors since (of course,i've seen plenty of young hipster shitheads sporting second hand Rolling Stones "Voodoo Lounge" T-Shirts they bought last week pretending to like R n'R as they snort their blow to the Postal Service)!

Is it stagnation? Just people getting "old"?I'm sure that adds to it,but never have i seen such reasonably fresh talent subject to such apathy! In turn it affects my motivation to play music or even write on this board whether i want it to or not!

Maybe i need to move...or do something else?

Rob
Posted: Aug 17, 2004 12:03 am

Hey Joe, EddieBo, Mel and I are sitting on a pile O' shit that needs lyrics. We've done some but got a-ways to go. If you want to listen to it, I'll send a cd. Who knows you may be interested in contributing. Let me know your address by e-mailing me, go to the web-address I posted above and e-mail me from the contact link if you want and I'll send one.
Joe Pestilence
Posted: Aug 17, 2004 7:44 pm

Hugh Betcha...will contact soon.
Rob
Posted: Aug 22, 2004 11:23 pm

If you tried to send your address. . . I didn't get it. Perhaps you should send to atomicjefferson@earthlink.net
Rightwingleftist
Posted: Feb 19, 2005 7:34 pm

Hey Joe! Hey Chad! Rob and eddie bo! Scott! It's Alex! How da fuck are ya!!!? Good to hear feom you kids! If you want mo' info of what went down with that show:
http://www.gulfcoastpunk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2303&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Don't ask! I've done disatorus shows in the past, I.E. the one chad talked about with the Club d kids! Yikes! ( My girlfriend did think it was funny as hell when Chad went off on 'em! Classic Chad! )But man Looks like my pal Molly just sunk herself in the Hole and with drama on this one! Wooo! Hand in there Molly! Good Luck!

Joe Pestilence
Posted: Feb 19, 2005 8:05 pm

Talk about late for the party,hahaha! Well now that you know where this is you need to post on here more... Gulf Coast Punk is funny for all the wrong (right) reasons!

Too bad you missed seeing the Spits at The Rockening,that'll probably be the last time a lot of people will see me play in that band.

Good hearing from ya Flembot!

lynn
Posted: Feb 20, 2005 3:14 am

molly-definately not
lyndsay-nope (that was lee's girlfriend-common mistake)
lynn-yes
i'd like to know how many people have actually been to the coast lately...it's not GREAT but i guess for us back-wood folk it works...maybe cause it HAS to work for some. what is it with city-bashing anyhow?! we have had in the past (fewer these days-i think thanks to molly) some awesome bands come through here and some really good shows happen. i actually stopped booking shows in 97, the little house is broken, molly books shows for sex and popularity (she's not very nice either),shows still happen at bars (particularly the Downtown Tavern) and all-ages at Mitchell Gruichs' house about once a month. It's not Claifornia, New York, or wherever else is 'better' but for those mississippians that haven't 'been there, done that' it works just fine. i never enjoyed big-city life very much anyhow (*insert accent). but when things stop happening altogether here, i'll move to where you are.
Joe Pestilence
Posted: Feb 20, 2005 5:37 pm

This is so funny! Actual Gulfportians steppin' up! You're outta your league here,toots-- go back to yer Good Charlotte records,hahaha!!!
Joe Pestilence
Posted: Feb 21, 2005 12:15 am

OK,sorry,that was a bit mean,i take it back! My finding humour in the "scene" of my old hometown isn't just making fun of hicks that don't know Tears For Fears ain't punk,it's more about how it manages to limp along and continue to exist in a vacuum despite itself!

I know you guys have been "keeping it real" (ugh,again,sorry!) for years,specifically your Little House-era posse,having to find the most creative places for shows and definitely not taking it for granted when a band does come thru town to play ! I know what it's like to have to find places for shows to happen down there,and i'll always have respect for you guys for sticking around, doing SOMETHING and at least trying!

That said though,i do have to flip you Coast kids a lot of shit for having some pretty horrible taste in music! That's the one constant that's been around ever since i was a little shit and had horrible taste in music myself! Y'all down there need to know that MTV (and even MTV2,Gawd forbid!) is not the path to Punk Rebellion or even Rock n'Roll Salvation! You should be lucky to have Kajun SS and Die Rotzz an hour away from your Little,Big and Mid-Sized houses,and these guys would prolly play for practically nothing except beer for the chance to rock the 'Port (i know King Louie is a big fan of Gulfport,i hear he's over there a good bit on weekends!) ,it's just a matter of setting it up!

Lynn,i'm pretty glad you found this Board and that I'm Not A Hot Dog played that show in Memphis! it's good to see some Coast action beginning to circulate and see some folks appreciate it... it does a legacy good! Prepare to enter a world full of music that doesn't suck... if you ever check this website out again that is! :)

Take Care.

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Hey guys, this is Rogan's daughter Red (the other Rogan). I found this thread via Google! I wanted to let everyone know that I've secretly copied all of Rogan's CDs of Rong and the Roganauts and I'm putting them all on Youtube. Hopefully his tapes will follow, if he'll let me touch them - but if you wanted to hear those originals, they're there!

I'd also really like to check out any recordings y'all may have of Rong (they're my favorite band!) My email is redmarshall93@gmail.com if you have anything you can send me. Thank you very much!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®