Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Hot Stuff...
Posted: Jun 3, 2005 1:34 am

The big, talking, hot-air ballon and the short, stout lady that talked with him back-in-the-day on PBS for kids. I think they were on in Chicago, too.

Anybody remember the theme song?
Posted: Jun 3, 2005 2:51 am

THat was one of my favorite shows cause the music was so weird---The Ballons name was HOT STUFF> THat may have been the name of the show..I think...
Posted: Jun 3, 2005 3:16 am

I have an embarrassing Hot Stuff story.

Hot Stuff haunted my childhood. For years I was under the misconception that the Hot Stuff character was a giant potato. Most Hot Stuff episodes that we remember where reruns from the late-70's. If I'm not mistaken, they were shot in the back of a children's clothing store located in Eastgate Shopping Center.

As I got older, and into my late-teens, and into smoking weed and doing other drugs, I used to tape PBS/Channel 10 daytime educational TV. Marathons of poorly done sub-after-school-special craziness - it was the stuff that ran DURING the school year (summer and holiday programming consisted of Sesame Street and the Electric Co. and such).

This is totally incriminating, but about seven years ago, a close friend (name rhymes with Cave Stunlap) and I ate mushrooms and watched one of these tapes. While an episode of Hot Stuff played, I managed (in a blazing mushroom frenzy) to find the guy that voiced and played Hot Stuff....in the phone book. I called him and held the phone up to the TV....

His first and only reply was, "Ah....I'd say...1978."

Very freaked out, I hung the phone up.
Posted: Jun 3, 2005 3:22 am

To put the "smoking weed/drugs" thing into context, I used to work nights (age 18 - 19), and would come home, get high, and watch whatever was taped earlier in the day. Alone.
Posted: Jun 3, 2005 10:34 am

I watched alot of the same stuff, and more often than not, in the same condition(s). Calling Hot Stuff was awesome; was that the begining of your "other" occupation, or was that the "experimental" prank-calling years?

There was a Scientist guy from Memphis, too that had a show on PBS during the same time; I remember he was riding is bike alot and I want to say he had some kind of Sherlock Holmes hat....
Posted: Jun 3, 2005 11:01 am

HOt Stuff!?!? YES!
don't remember the science guy.
do remember getting scolded by a stagehand on the set of DICK WILLIAMS MAGICLAND for laying down on the 'bleachers.' I don't remember what was going on exactly(I was like 6)but I do remember being bored as fuck and protesting by lying down.
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 12:36 pm

Cort and Christian Williams were on that show.
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 2:21 pm

They were on Hot Stuff or Magicland? I think every kid in Memphis was on Magicland; I got to do the ol "Needle through the balloon" trick with Dick Williams. Ugh, that sounds like innuendo but it ain't.
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 2:47 pm

i remember the guy with the bike,but i can't remember the name of the show. he had an assistant that was made out of cans. thank you channel 10!
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 3:01 pm

Joseph t, That's the guy! I forgot about the can man!
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 3:58 pm

OK, does anyone remember a kids movie from the 70's (I saw it during the day on a weekend probably around 1974-75) that featured an unexploded land mine/bomb in a hole. Some kid got stuck in there with it and it was finally diffused or something, but only after a 2 hour terrifying (to a five year old) lead up. I remember it being British.
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 4:30 pm

From that time, I only remember "The Boy in the Bubble" (I believe John Travolta was the unfortunate teen) and "Escape From Witch Mountain" with some kind of talking cat.
Posted: Jun 18, 2005 4:39 pm

This was even a little earlier than Boy in the Bubble. Maybe it was like 1973 even. I also remember a GREAT kids movie from the time about a little NYC ghetto black kid and his pet cat called "J.T." or something. I cried like a baby when that cat was run over at the end. Oh wait, I was a baby.
Posted: Dec 20, 2019 12:54 pm

HEY!!! I found this thread because I am dying to see an episode of Hot Stuff. I remember his from the early 80's on Channel 10. I would just be thrilled to even see a picture of him.

Hey Earles... can I borrow on of those tapes?

Anybody else know of a way to see an episode?

<fingers crossed>
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®