Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Memphis Grocery
Posted: Mar 25, 2020 10:09 am

My beloved chaotic Poplar & Cleveland Kroger seems on the brink of just being overwhelmed by hoardes of folks and resorting to Aldi-style / East German Cold War-era just putting pallets of stuff on the floor. Maybe that's appropriate for our times, but seems a little bit much.

Anyway, we're about out of essentials- anyone got any tips (promise I won't share)... Superlo? Whole Foods? Fresh Market? Viet Hoa?
Posted: Mar 25, 2020 10:42 am

I hear Fresh Market is normal. I bet Viet Hoa is where it is at!
Posted: Mar 25, 2020 11:48 am

I've been experimenting all week visiting different grocery stores trying to score some tp, and haven't really found a good time to luck into essentials. I just finally got some dish soap yesterday. I hear first thing in the morning is when the hordes descend at Kroger stores, but, I happened to go to a Trader Joe's yesterday and was able to find everything that I was shopping for, which was just food. They were pretty locked in by only allowing a certain number of shoppers in at a time, having dedicated staff continually wiping down the carts as each got returned. I usually hate going to Trader Joe's but was surprised at their organization. I say go to an Asian grocery store because I've had no problem getting meat and noodles from there. I don't know the Memphis grocery scene but you should totally do a "scene report", maybe post a video.
Posted: Mar 25, 2020 11:51 am

Do you have restaurant supply type grocery stores there? We have Cash n Carry but they let in non-restaurant types too. I went last week and you could still buy giant boxes of napkins and whole briskets.
Posted: Mar 26, 2020 9:43 am

Ooh, that's a good idea. We have Lit and Lit Jr that do restaurant supply stuff... other places, too that I 'm not familiar with.

Was contemplating a Costco run for another massive restock but ran out of time and headed to the local Kroger at 4pm. Was about 1/2 as many people as usual, produce was well-stocked. Wiped out of bread, milk, and TP / Paper towels and bleach / sanitizer stuff (as usual- are these even getting restocked?) but was overall an easy run and went right through the checkout. Maybe having the elderly come through from 7-8 am helps? Dunno.
Posted: Mar 29, 2020 7:49 pm

Was just in pop/Cleve Kroger's, Arizona green tea back in stock!
Posted: Mar 29, 2020 10:32 pm

Essential.
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 9:02 pm

Big ups to The Troll for the Cash n Carry tip. There's one 5 blocks from my house! I had no idea. Can't wait to check it out.
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 10:13 am

I don't think it's the same thing, but, maybe? They are a NW/West Coast outfit https://www.smartfoodservice.com/
Or, did you move?
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 10:48 am

Oh, you did move. Cash and Carry is great for briskets in non-pandemic times. You might also peruse Grocery Outlet for weird trial products that they are trying to unload (think weird flavored Pringles).
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 10:50 am

Another cool place to check out is this Eastern European store, CityMaxx. Lots of cool weird stuff!
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 10:53 am

Sorry for the non-Memphis grocery chatter.
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 12:07 pm

Thanks! Need to bring back the Portland forum I guess.
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 12:23 pm

One more cool place to get produce and awesome meats is Sheridan's. They have great sausages and make a mean porchetta. I know some PDX peeps prefer Gartner's as their meat store, but I like Sheridan's.
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 12:26 pm

Love me some Sheridan's! in fact I've managed to avoid fred meyer / winco / safeway the last few weeks by going there instead. kinda close quarters in there for pandemic times but they've got hand sanitizer everywhere.
Posted: Apr 22, 2020 9:20 pm

Eric i had a good time at trader jo but what was really nice was going to the Mediterranean Market on Park and Highland. No one hardly there. If you want to stockup on large quantities of stuff you can go to Restaurant Depot. You have to sign up but it doesn't cost anything., maybe call ahead first to check, but you have a business so they may be able to sign you up no problem. We get a lot of lamp stuff there, or we instacart kroger.
Posted: Sep 15, 2020 4:28 pm

Costco delivery. Worth every cent. Fresh Market is definitely less of a shit show than K-Roger. I have yet to make the pilgrimage to Superlo.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®