Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / The history of the bar known now as Nocturnal on Madison (in my youth the Antenna)
Posted: Mar 21, 2012 12:57 am

I was on the CA website and was reading about these three idiots arrested for making "shake and bake" meth in Midtown. I decided to Streetview the area since I have not been home in over 10 years.

On 1588 Madison, there is a place called Nocturnal. In the 1980's, this place was called The Antenna. The Antenna was a locally famous place with the Generation X crowd in the 1980's before the bitches from MADD raised the drinking age to 21.

Was it a punk bar? I never thought about it much as a kid because I thought that Memphis was a cosmopolitan place. I have only stuck my head inside what I think was Antenna in around 1990 or so, but did not stay because it was very dark and seemingly not my crowd. More of a P and H and Murphy's guy.

Made me wonder, how many names has this place had in the last 25 years? The exterior is exactly the same, Marilyn Manson like Halloween black. Has the theme of this place always been the same?

What was the name of the place before Antenna? Or were they the original occupant? What was the place back in the 1970's? I was a little kid in the 1970's but Midtown seemed more of a redneck hippy poor man's Haight Ashbury, and really, being next to freaking Arkansas and Mississippi and being in Tennessee, it was as Haight Ashbury as it got.

Why not sell the name with the place? To me, until they demolish that building, it is always going to be The Antenna. Nocturnal? I guess until 3 AM when the red Pizza Hut cups are broken out.At least this is what P and H and The Beer Joint on Broad did after hours.

What is up with that place? Also, is the gay bar J Wags still around?
Posted: Mar 21, 2012 2:51 am

Pre-Antenna ,it was The Well . Back in the early to mid 70's ,it was The Mouse Trap , a total dive and pretty scarey.
Posted: Mar 21, 2012 4:06 am

Long live The Well!
Posted: Mar 21, 2012 5:49 am

Nocturnal closed. It's now "Renaissance". They advertise "Trunk Parties".
I haven't been in, but I know they have repainted inside (like, a really bright beige) and added lighting, as it also doubles as some sort of photography studio.

I believe the historic order from the 70's is as follows:
The Mouse Trap
The Well
The Antenna
Barristers II
Madison Flame
Nocturnal
Renaissance
Posted: Mar 21, 2012 6:07 am

I think it was called The Library for a short time in the 70's too.
Posted: Mar 21, 2012 6:39 am

what ever happened to the Bud Den?
Posted: Mar 21, 2012 10:43 am

It was also called the Void for a while, during the Barristers II era, no?
Posted: Mar 21, 2012 11:52 am

right! VOID! that was a good one.
Posted: Mar 22, 2012 5:40 am

Psycho Lounge! Shoulda never changed that name!
Posted: Mar 22, 2012 5:52 am

Psycho Lounge is the sickest thing ive ever heard
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®