Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Referendum Vote on School Consolidation
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 1:29 pm

not a soul in line yesterday when i went to the county building downtown (which probably means this is dead in the water). so if you have four minutes to spare, do Memphis a solid.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/education/021611-dates-times-loca tions-for-referendum-vote-on-school-consolidation
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 2:50 pm

The voters will do you a solid. An opportunity to unilaterally stick it to county residents dispossessed via the ballot box will not be missed.
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 3:02 pm

i don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the majority of memphis residents support it. also, i'm not convinced SCS is going to suffer anywhere near to the degree that the chicken littles would suggest. what i DO know is it's supported by people trying to grow the memphis 'brand' and job/business opportunities, without which shelby county would essentially be a non-entity.

as for mcs' piss-poor legacy, what did the white-flighters think was going to happen to this city when they pulled up their stakes 40+ years ago?
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 3:04 pm

Every county in TN has the obligation to educate its children. Every child in Memphis lives in Shelby county. Every taxpayer in Memphis pays Shelby county taxes. Besides, the charter was surrendered and the surrender was accepted. Ex-post-facto law nullifying the surrender's acceptance (the Norris bill) is judicially flawed and will be struck down.
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 3:11 pm

I believe that children are our future.
teach them well and let them lead the way.
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 3:42 pm

you do not, is someone else at your house?
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 6:06 pm

I can't wait for consolidation ..especially considering how mad it makes suburbanites.

This is going to be interesting how it plays out in the courts and the state government.
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 3:27 am

Imagine if when Circuit City went belly up in 2009, that instead of justing folding up and going away, they force Best Buy to take their stores, take their employees and take their debt. And then after this was done, for the former Circuit City management to depose the Best Buy management and then have the same people in charge that ran their original company into the ground.

Really the MCS/SCS thing is not much different.

A failing school system should not be allowed to "surrender" their charter and force themselves to be merged to another, more successful system, and then because of sheer numbers, overthrow the leaders of that system and then be allowed to run both systems to the ground. That¡¯s insane. Who can blame SCS and Pickler to fight this.

If a district is so dire that it does what MCS did, then it should be taken over by the State, and the state needs to go in and clean house and get rid of the fatcat jobs and slash payrolls at the top, so that the head of MCS (Kriner Cash, loyal Burt¡¯s shopper) is not making as much as a U.S. Congressman, not to mention hiring some bald headed idiot from Florida who is like a media relations-nothing job which paid $90k or so a year. Maybe SCS also has overpaid people on their payroll, but probably not like that seen in MCS, which is ran like a Banana Republic (as in Haiti, not a khaki mall shop for anorexics).

SCS has had its problems I am sure, but they have been much more successful than MCS. Everyone knows what the issue is, and it squarely has to do with demographics. MCS has been a snowballing failure for over 40 years because the tax base took off. They floated a long time because the city of Memphis invaded Hickory Hill (that¡¯s Hickory Hood back in the good old days) and Cordova. The city is now impoverished more than ever and have pulled this ¡°charter surrender¡± crap to do like The Jeffersons and move to the Deee-Luxe Schoool in the Sky!

I am a proud GHS graduate of 1985 and it makes me vomit to think that a greaseball, jerry curl, dime store looking pimp may run my school. Or that my parents are going to pay more in property taxes because Germantown decides to start their own school district. If Germantown does this, so will Collierville, Arlington, Fartlett (not sic), and wherever will do the same, so everyone¡¯s taxes will go up¡­¡­just because MCS can¡¯t get their shit together!
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 5:24 am

senor boogie woogie........

It all comes down to voting. If the county population doesn't want idiots running the school board then they need to get out and vote! plain and simple.

Chances are there never would have been massive white flight in the 70's and 80's if the white population would have simply gotten off its ass and voted 25, 30 and 40 years ago. well they didn't, so idiots took over in the city government and MCS, filled it with corruption and the rest is history. I know so many people (friends and family) that complain about how Memphis has gone to hell over the years----yet they have NEVER voted.

As Memphis segregated schools in the early 70's, many of these unaccredited Baptist church schools poped-up all over, many of them in the Berclair area where I grew up. Some of the most ignorant, dumb-ass people i have ever met are products of these schools. Again, another example of the lazy Memphis white population reacting and running away instead of giving a damn by way voting and being active in the community.
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 5:54 am

The County population cannot vote in this election.
The MCS system has close to a billion dollar a year budget. It is bloated with middle management whose salaries are not comensurate with their duties. Having dealt with the purchasing departments of both systems,I can tell you that SCS are greater stewards of the taxpayers dollars and performance levels show they are getting more bang for the buck.
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 10:38 am

"The County population cannot vote in this election"

I guess I should elaborate. What I meant was, the the county residents should make it a priority to vote in the future school related elections of the new consolidated super district (whenever its established)...I'm pretty confident the consolidation will happen.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®