Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Underground Metal radio show circa 1986/87 in Memphis
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 8:12 am

I used to listen to a radio show at midnight til 2 or 3 AM on Saturday nights here in Memphis. The host went by the handle, "Teede", I think his name was Ted. Played stuff like Bathory, Posessed, Venom, Metallica bootlegs...lots and lots of thrash metal. I cant for the life of me remember what station..it wasnt WEVL nor WLYX (I think Peter's "We Are The Weird Show" was on at this time on WLYX) but almost certain it was a left of the dial station...anyone remember this radio show? What station was it on? Been bugging me for a minute now...
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 5:09 pm

Yeah I remember it. I was thinking it was WEVL. Are you sure it wasn't wevl? I had some of those shows on cassette tape until about three years ago. Wish I hadn't thrown away my old cassette collection now. I had Metalshop shows from 1984 and a bunch of other stuff. While we're on the topic, anyone remember the Heavy Metal meltdown show on Saturday afternoons on WLYX back in 1982?
John Thomas (I think that was his name) had a pretty cool show on WEVL around 1991/92. I don't remember the name of it.
Posted: Nov 13, 2009 5:05 am

It was on WEVL. Tad and John Mays would occasionally play metal in the last hour of Brad's hardcore show. The whole shebang was shut down after a few hysterical PSA's. I think the station manager came down and discovered all the underage punks drinking. I can't believe people didn't find endometriosis funny.
Posted: Nov 13, 2009 8:15 am

I remember that! Who was the hardcore dj?
Posted: Nov 14, 2009 10:38 am

ok, that makes ense. I was talking to the station manager at WEVL and he said he didnt know of any thrash metal shows, but mentioned the hardcore show and the night he discovered the shenanigans...so it makes sense he didnt know about the metal guy as he wasnt really a DJ at the station. He also said some of these folks drinking down there handed him some nazi skinhead pamphlets...by the description, it sounded like it was Steve Hickey with the nazi crap.
thanks, I beginning to think I was making the whole thrash metal radio show up in my mind for a minute...
Posted: Nov 14, 2009 5:18 pm | Edited by: fredrick of hollywood

The whole shebang was shut down after a few hysterical PSA's.

endometriosis is NOT a laughing matter............ but anal condyloma is.
Posted: Nov 14, 2009 5:22 pm | Edited by: fredrick of hollywood

Who was the hardcore dj?

Brad Rusoe? drummer from metro waste , before benny c.
Posted: Nov 14, 2009 5:36 pm | Edited by: fredrick of hollywood

He also said some of these folks drinking down there handed him some nazi skinhead pamphlets.

That's funny!
That guy was such a goddamned retard.
When some fool passes out neo-nazi pamplets....... oi, what a freak.

He beat Tina Harbor up, and she still fucked him.
I thought that was amusing too.
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 11:50 am

Brad did it his senior year in HS and mostly goofed off and occasionally played music. His show was the scourge of the station. I never knew how he kept the show as long as he did. The Metal episodes were much more focused musical mayhem. I remember the night he turned Memphis airwaves onto The Free Design's "Kites are Fun".

handed him some nazi skinhead pamphlets

That stuff was all around back then. It didn't upset people because most people realized how stupid it was.
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 3:21 pm

I remember the night he turned Memphis airwaves onto The Free Design's "Kites are Fun".

I can't believe somebody else remembers that besides me. Ha!
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 5:05 pm

truly hardcore.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®