Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 6:12 am

Anyone do any shopping there? What's it like?
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 6:20 am

GREAT prices...all off brands...you gotta sack your own...the veggies are good and cheap
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 6:21 am

Oh yeah...you have to pay a quarter for your shopping cart but you get it back when you return it
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 7:14 am

Yes, no name brands but their stuff is very good quality. Stores are very clean also. Definite lower prices.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 7:19 am

I also noticed that the people that work there don't seem to hate their jobs like at the other stores.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 7:27 am

So, do they have frozen stuff...all the regular grocery store stuff?

That's pretty funny about the quarter for the cart.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 7:31 am

they have really good frozen stuff ,especially desserts.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 8:39 am

Aldi's also owns the Trader Joe's grocery chain, but where TJ's is more upscale and trendy, Aldi's is the economy-minded version. Heavy on private label brands and close-out items.

I'd love to see a Trader Joe's in Midtown... those are great stores.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 8:48 am

thanks, y'all. I think I'll make the trek out there...see if they can give Kroger a run for their money.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 9:02 am

Alisa...it's not as...vast as Kroger...it's pretty concentrated since it does not have 10 types of the same thing...but you can find the staples at a low cost.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 9:17 am

I am eating an aldi lunch as we speak. The basics are good. Bread, Milk, Eggs, etc. The fruit can be hit or miss. But, when my girlfriend and I need to stock up on lunch stuff and just basics for the house, then we are good to go. Went sunday and got a basket full for 60 bucks.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 9:25 am

That's what I'm looking for. Mostly eggs, cheese, bread, chips for Jack's lunch, juice, and meat...salad stuff. We eat a lot of those Kroger frozen chicken breasts, and I've heard they're much cheaper out there.
I can no longer afford $150 bucks a week for less than a basketfull of stuff.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 9:45 am

Oh yeah...you have to pay a quarter for your shopping cart but you get it back when you return it

Ze Germans!
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 10:23 am

Alisa- I love Aldi for staples like milk, butter, eggs. Some of their frozen foods are hit or miss, but they are cheap enough to try once to see how you like it. I also buy produce there from time to time - stuff like mushrooms or zucchini.

the kids like Aldi's frozen chicken nuggets the best of any I've bought . If you are on a budget or want to lower your grocery budget, give it a try.

I really like their peanut butter - tastes just like Jif to me.

anyway, it has been a life saver when trying to buy ingredients rather than all processed stuff.

blah blah blah - you get the picture
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 11:07 am

I buy a bunch of Kroger brand stuff, so the "off brand" thing doesn't bother me a bit. (btw...Kroger brand is GREAT cheese).
Also, I think there's a Kroger right next door or something out Summer, so if I can't get everything at Aldi's I can dip into Kroger. (I hate, hate, hate to run all over town grocery shopping.)
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 7:58 am

do NOT buy aldi brand flour
it is inferior
its like the crap that ends up on the mill floor that gets ground up further and bleached. the flour has NONE of the properties that flour should have - apart from being able to put out a grease fire.

same w/ their sugar. the sugar seems to be coated w/ something - it discolors water

its worse than bottom of barrel beer

do NOT buy aldi brand baking staples if you have any modicum of tastebuds or anything

inferior inferior inferior
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 10:46 am

Okay, Aldi is a no go for me. I just got confused, and honestly, the prices weren't much better than what I buy at Kroger's. Did buy a few things. Cheap "fresh" mozzarella was nice. And cheap eggs. Don't think I'll be shopping there, though, as I refuse to go to two (or more) places to grocery shop. (Well, I will go to Kroger and Easy Way.)
Hell, they didn't even have CHARCOAL at Aldi's! At a grocery store in MEMPHIS in the springtime!!

Went to Kroger out there afterwards, and really did like that Kroger. The meat looked better than either ghetto Kroger or Kroger Poplar Plaza. Might be going out there from now on.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 11:27 am

The Kroger on Mendenhall/Sanderlin sucks though. I only go to Schnucks, Fresh Market and then Whole Foods every once in awhile for produce/bulk, mostly. I shopped at Walmart over here and discovered that it isn't much cheaper unless you are buying stuff they have on sale or some staples like sour cream, milk, eggs etc.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 11:44 am

I don't like Schnuck's because the midtown one is unbearable, and I still think it's pricier than any other chain grocery store in town. I'm not going to drive out to East Memphis to pay more. That would just be dumb!
Guess I'm just a Kroger/Easy Way girl through and through.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 12:21 pm

I'm not an Aldi fan, either. I dig me some Choice!
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 12:59 pm

choice is good. Even if you're choosing the "Kroger" or "Value" brand.
That "Value" wheat bread, at eighty-eight cents, if better than any of the other wheat breads. Try it.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 1:27 pm

i'm not really a big fan of aldi's. i couldn't find anything i needed. bluh. it's not even that cheap.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 1:35 pm

I'd love to see a Trader Joe's in Midtown... those are great stores.

totally. the ones i've been to were really reasonable and pretty much covered all my needs in one stop. i can't believe no one's tried to make a go of it downtown or midtown.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 8:30 am

Trader Joes rules.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 12:05 pm

Trader Joes makes me feel like I am not cool enough to shop there. At the one in Pittsburgh the people are way too psyched to be there. Like the staff at Starbucks. They always seem too into being there. It makes me feel a bit uneasy when there isn't even the slightest hint of misanthropy in the air.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 12:45 pm

They always seem too into being there.

They take care of their employees about as well as a grocery store could. Also, you don't get a raise/promotion unless your co-workers give you the thumb's up, so being some sullen retail slave giving customers a hard time doesn't really fly.

I think this all got talked about at some point here a few years ago...that thread's probably got more details.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 3:49 am

I know I talked about it on this board, but TJ's gets really old fast, except for the cheap wine. I can really do without the glut of expensive stroller mommies at any establishment and TJ's attracts those bored women like flies.

Not to mention, they seem to hire mostly lecherous early 20's-mid 30's aged men who spend a majority of their time ogling said mommies and bragging over everyone's head to each other about their latest Ultimate game.

TJ's frozen gyoza, canned artichoke hearts, black beans and cheap wine--the rest of the stuff barely has any taste and did I mention FAKE HAWAIIAN SHIRTS? Sure, Memphis would eat it up, but it isn't really that fabulous.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 4:12 am

shit, all i remember from TJs in the 80s cheap-ass Czech beer, best Absolut prices in town, and weird wines.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 4:25 am

i've only been to one in Philly and ummm, somewhere else I can't remember right now. I can definitely see where the criticisms expressed in this thread are legitimate. my thing with TJ's is that I can get all the stuff I occasionally go to Whole Foods for (bulk bin items, spices & stufff that aren't always carried at schnuck's etc, other hippie shit), except for it's seems to be a good deal cheaper. And if there were one in midtoen or downtown I wouldn't have to deal withj Popplar or Walnut Grove.

I should also note that I haven't been to a TJ's in probably 2 years. It may totally suck now.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 5:17 am

I haven't been in 2 years either and it sucked worse in 2007 than it did in 2000...or maybe I got a palate and started noticing how overpriced a vacuum-packed few slices of swiss cheese was when compared to a block of it at New Seasons.

They didn't have liquor at the Portland stores...but yeah, you could not beat the quality of wine/prices with a stick. If TJs just wants to come down here and open a wine store and sell some frozen gyoza...I will welcome them.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 11:53 am

supposedly one of the reasons TJ's hasn't come here yet is Tennessee's archaic wine laws. they know where a lot of their money is made, and it ain't in the food...
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 4:48 pm

That wouldn't surprise me. Many a caterer and even small restaurants were known to get their wine on occassion from TJs when we were in Portland. You never knew the deals they'd have.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 6:49 pm

supposedly one of the reasons TJ's hasn't come here yet is Tennessee's archaic wine laws. they know where a lot of their money is made, and it ain't in the food...

there is a TJ's in nashville in the old wild oats space - precariously near whole foods...

the reason tj's is not in memphis or in my 'hood in nashville is that the company that owns them (and aldi) does very serious demographic and socio-economic studies to determine which of their stores, if any, they will open in any given neighborhood.... (i asked them when i applied for a job at TJs)

even tho east nashville, where i live, is full of hipsters and a serious amount of urban pioneers with big bucks, the zip code itself includes as many people on welfare as there are 6-figure incomes, thus making it economically undesirable for TJ's but just exactly right for aldi

TJ's being in TN actually gives hope that there is a lobbying force to overturn the archaic no-wine-in-grocery stores laws
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 3:03 am

TJ's being in TN actually gives hope that there is a lobbying force to overturn the archaic no-wine-in-grocery stores laws

I like your optimism, but did you see how quickly the most recent attempt failed, while they actually passed (at least the House did) a law that sure, you can bring guns into bars!
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 3:14 am

i can bring my gun into liquor stores, yeah?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®