Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / JT & Rev. Al
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 3:20 pm

Hugely representin tonight at the Grammy's.
I gotta say, I do love that JT for how he's always talking up Memphis. Reverend Green kind of tore it up tonight - he and JT sang together.
And to think, he was blessing me in front of his congregation just a few short weeks ago!
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 7:00 am

jeez... of the grammys telecast that i was able to spy whilst at work, i never caught JT & the Rev. Green.

JT is a guilty pleasure. i heart the man

instead, i caught a glimpse of all the puke-inducing acts - katy perry, jonas bros who embarrassed themselves AND stevie wonder and coldplay. how did coldplay get to be so HUGE?

oh, and dave grohl w/ mccartney? some doofuses have all the luck....
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 11:04 am | Edited by: Alisa

Yeah...the Grammys were kind of...nutty?

I do love JT. I just do. He is ALWAYS talking up Memphis. And, Rev. Green...what can I say? After being in his very near presence I can only say that I think he's totally bonkers - like Clarence in "It's a Wonderful Life". He is so cool, though. And his voice is like an angel's too. He's still got it, fosHuH!!

Poor Jonas Bros. They tried so hard. They actually did look like they were peeing in their pants to be up there with Stevie.
Not a McCartney fan, but he did do a pretty good version of "(I Saw Her) Standing There". (Is that the name of that tune?) I still haven't forgiven him for what he said when John was shot, and don't know if I ever will. But, he irritated me less than ever last night. And that's saying something.

One thing I did love was that country/folk band that I've never heard of...I can't remember their name now. They're from Atlanta. I love country/folk music...I wanted to go out and buy their record. They sang a song called "Stay", which was really a pretty good song. That woman reminded me of Janis Joplin.

Jackson was really bitching about Robert Plant/Allison Krause winning all those awards. I did pick up the interesting tidbit yesterday that A. Krause is the all time winningest female singer in Grammy history. Whoda thunk?

And, Coldplay? I don't get it...but was almost kicked out of the room during Sunday dinner when I was making fun of them. Apparently, they're very popular.
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 11:09 am | Edited by: redbone

And, Coldplay? I don't get it...but was almost kicked out of the room during Sunday dinner when I was making fun of them. Apparently, they're very popular.

pretty good..for a U2 cover band
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 11:09 am

Also, was pretty into Lil Wayne's New Orleans homage. Damnit...people need to still be reminded that the last administration totally fucked NOLA after Katrina fucked her.
And, Allen Toussaint was really laying it out. Couldn't believe how amazing he was/is.
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 11:18 pm

JT is a guilty pleasure. i heart the man
I do love JT.
Shame!

Timberlake is a hack.
He needs to STOP talking about Memphis.
He's from Millington.
He got cookie-cutter-famous out of the Orlando popmill.
He stole his entire schtick from Michael Jackson.
He's done exactly nothing for Memphis.
His music is entirely forgettable.

And I took a shit the other day that has more musical relevance than the Grammys.
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 11:20 pm

PS - Love both you ladies despite your horrifying enjoyment of shlock.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 12:57 am

despite your horrifying enjoyment of shlock.

what is life without horrifying enjoyment of schlock, now I ask you?
Nothing like seeing a little twit descend from a ceiling with more lights on her than the whole of Times Square...INSIDE A METALLIC YELLOW BANANA!
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 4:32 am

One thing I did love was that country/folk band that I've never heard of...I can't remember their name now. They're from Atlanta. I love country/folk music...I wanted to go out and buy their record. They sang a song called "Stay", which was really a pretty good song.

was it Sugarland? No matter what anyone thinks of the song, that girl has got a set of pipes on her! I was very impressed.

The main reason I tuned in was the very first act (U2), so it was all mildly entertaining after that. However, I think M.I.A. is a complete badass for coming out & performing with Jay Z, Kanye, TI & Lil Wayne on her baby's DUE DATE?!?
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 6:01 am

Yeah, Sugarland...that's it. She's really great, and I'm going to look them up.

MIA was indeed a BADASS. Bet that baby comes out kicking!

Today I heard on the radio that JT and Rev. Green got the call to do their number 2 HOURS before showtime! It was supposed to be Chris Brown and Riannon (?) together, but he beat her up and got arrested or something.
Now that's impressive!
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 6:37 am

He's done exactly nothing for Memphis.

while JTimberlake annoys me - i would have to beg to differ.
last time i was in the office of the memphis music foundation, i saw a hefty check he wrote to them, which by extension, goes to help out some musicians in memphis through the services it pays for that the foundation in turn gives out pro bono

so, he has done exactly SOMETHING for memphis, whether we like it or not.

as for the other JT - the original JT... James Taylor.... no shame there.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 8:00 am

so, he has done exactly SOMETHING for memphis, whether we like it or not.

Man, on the radio they were saying that Kevin Kane (or whoever that Chamber of Commerce guy is) was sending him a big ole thank you note or something because it was basically a ten minute commercial for Memphis in front of millions of people. JT was really talking the town up.
So, yeah...
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 8:27 am | Edited by: tigergreen

he's always talking about memphis on whatever interview he's giving.

whether it's re-doing the golf course in millington, or talking about memphis music, and lest we forget, when he hosted the ESPYs, he came out in not one, but TWO tiger outfits, and talked about the Tigers nonstop the whole time?

think what you will about his talent or his music, the fact of the matter is, the guy is a great ambassador for memphis - even if he did grow up in millington.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 8:39 am

We all know how much Lukewarm hates well played, in tune music...
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 9:50 am | Edited by: Luke Warm

We all know how much Lukewarm hates well programmed, auto-tuned music...
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 9:51 am

a hefty check he wrote to them
So he has to buy respect?
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 1:10 pm

So he has to buy respect?

It's called "giving back to the community"!
Seriously, I know he's a little wonky boy, but I do love him anyway. He was a Mouseketeer! What's not to love?!
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 1:59 pm

What's not to love?!

His refusal to bring Hugh, the Manatee, back to life to save Memphis. JT can only do this by getting back together with Brittney.

We are doomed.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Poor Jack, you still haven't gotten over Hugh?
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 8:10 pm

yo Luke Warm... luv you too
can you please talk Jack Stands off the roof about that manatee?
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 9:48 pm | Edited by: Luke Warm

Y'know what really sucks is that on some deep dark level that I prefer not to access, I know you're both right.

But...

BB King/Beale - Elvis/Sun - Al Green/Willie Mitchell - Issac hayes/Stax - Timberlake

Does that seem right?
It's just icky.

Goddamn you, Timberlake.
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 2:26 pm

I think it goes both ways. He may do a lot for Memphis, but there's also a certain cache that goes with being a Memphian and he definitely exploits it for all its worth. He gets a lot of cred that he wouldn't have gotten if he'd grown up in, say, Des Moines. We're lucky that we grew up in Memphis (or Millington, even) because we got to hear great music all the time that kids in other parts of the country didn't have as much access to. Nevertheless, I have a hard time believing that when he was a Mouseketeer, he was sitting in the dressing room between takes listening to Call Me.

That said, OMG JT IS SO FINE HE IS SO SEXY I WANNA HAVE HIS BEBEHS, no joking at all, etc etc etc...
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 5:49 pm

Kid is cool. He can dance... he can sing. black folks fuggin love him. I don't see any real reason to dislike him, cept maybe that he was dating britnoid...

like robin said, he gets a lot out of being from memphis, but I do think he does a lot for memphis. like the grizzlies, every time he goes and does anything, memphis gets mentioned. that's a plus.
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 6:16 pm

like the grizzlies, every time he goes and does anything, memphis gets mentioned

um...when was the last time the grizzlies did anything?

heh! ;)
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 7:17 pm

It still feels a little like he's trying to buy his way into a music scene that he's had little, if anything, to do with (Didn't he sang at Libertylot as a kid? Though I don't know if that counts.).
But I guess if he gets people to pay some attention to Memphis and it's music, that's a good thing.
And as robin's crush shows, he really has brought sexy back.
Now excuse me while I go vomit.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®