Posted: Sep 21, 2007 7:23 am

Dammit...
Link with picture here
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/sep/21/jordan-was-talented-d eejay/

Jordan was talented deejay
Former Memphis disc jockey was also a singer/songwriter

By Michael Lollar (Contact)
Friday, September 21, 2007

Former Memphis disc jockey and singer-songwriter Ron Jordan, once known as "Peck's Bad Boy" of Memphis radio, died Monday in Hays, Kan.

Mr. Jordan, 58, died of heart failure at Hays Medical Center after he was removed from life support, said his daughter, Katrina Louise Jordan of Southaven. She said he was en route from his home in Elkhart, Ind., to California as part of a job delivering recreational vehicles cross country. During the trip, he was hospitalized for anaphylactic shock, a reaction "to something he ingested." She said the family is awaiting results of an autopsy.

Mr. Jordan was cremated. A memorial service and burial in West Tennessee Veterans Cemetery will be scheduled later.

Disc jockey George Klein remembered Mr. Jordan as "a tremendously talented radio personality with a great voice who was very innovative, ahead of his time."

He worked as a disc jockey on and off in Memphis from 1963 to the early 1970s and at stations in Indianapolis, San Diego and Little Rock before returning to the Memphis area in the 1980s with a stint at a radio station in Somerville, Tenn.

Friend Alex Ward, owner of Pro-Video and a disc jockey at WREG Radio FM-102.7, said Mr. Jordan began as an AM radio personality working with an uncle in 1963, then moved to FM stations where "he was a phenomenal talent."

Ward, who plans a tribute to Mr. Jordan during his Sunday show, 6-8 p.m., said Mr. Jordan was known for on-air stunts and occasional controversy. While working for Sam Phillips' WLVS-FM in 1981, Mr. Jordan was reprimanded when he referred to police officers as "pigs and Nazis." Phillips said he "got all over him about it," but added: "He is really talented and one of the greatest radio entertainers in the world."

Ward said Mr. Jordan also was a talented singer-songwriter with two local hit songs, "Oh Love" and "Cindy's Carousel" with a group known as Ronnie and the Devilles and produced by Chips Moman. Mr. Jordan left the group to begin his radio career. He also formed a new band, Honeyjug, while the Devilles changed their name to The Box Tops.

Katrina Jordan said her father also performed country music under the pseudonym Dixon Steele and, among other songs, recorded the hit "High Style Woman."

Mr. Jordan also leaves two other daughters, Amy Alice Jordan of Memphis and Courtney Dean El-Broche of Horn Lake; a son, Gage Patrick Jordan of West Memphis; two sisters, Bonnie Chiasson of New Orleans and Lisa Donovan of Little Rock, a brother, Rick Jordan of Murfreesboro, Tenn., and three grandchildren.
Posted: Sep 22, 2007 9:34 pm | Edited by: Jeanice

G- It was wonderful seeing you and your kids the other day. You were great shopping with them.

I remember Ron Jordan very well from my youth. He was hilarious and quite the character. Thanks for sharing the news of his passing. He's one of those people that I had forgotten had made my early years fun.

J.
Posted: Sep 23, 2007 9:21 am

I think you mean Gary...he's my brother. My kids take ME shopping.

I've been listening to some of Ron's air checks and all the characters he could do....he was amazing....Burma Hogg....Bruce Pooce...and his live commercials would kill ya.
Posted: Feb 24, 2020 10:21 am

Hey Golightly!

I'm a massive fan of Ron Jordan's. I was in touch with his daughter, Katrina, shortly after his death but have lost touch with her.

It's always been my dream to create a memorial page or website honoring the life and work of Ron Jordan. I'm finally getting started on gathering material. You know who Bruce Pooce is and that is the secret password!

I would love to speak with you about this at your convenience.

Thanks!
Michael
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®